Oracle Application Development Framework Review

A smooth framework with good business components, but the performance needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I am an Oracle Forms developer.

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the business components.

This is a good framework that is very smooth.

It is easy to deploy your application.

What needs improvement?

The performance of this solution needs to be improved because it is very slow.

There should be a light-weight version of this solution ported to Apache Tomcat.

I have been using this solution for about nine years.

The stability is very good. When you have a good service with enough memory and enough CPU cores then you have good performance.

When you have a lot of users, perhaps three or four hundred, then it becomes very slow.

The technical support escalates issues in a sequence. When you first contact them the people are not very experienced, and it is like they are reading from a handbook. They suggest one step, then another, and so one. If you have a larger problem then it takes a lot of time to get answers from Oracle.

I would not say that the support is bad, nor would I say that it is very good. It is average.

I also use the Spring Framework for Forms development.

The initial setup of this solution is very easy.

I performed the deployment myself.

The cost of this solution is approximately $47,000 USD per site.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle technology moves very fast, and many of the Oracle Forms developers will be moving to the Spring Framework.

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to get their information from the consultants who work with it, and not just from the internet.

I have a lot of Oracle ADF experience and I have had a lot of bugs. When you have a low-code framework like this one, a wizzard, and a drag-and-drop interface, it becomes buggy. That's the major problem.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.