Oracle Audit Vault Review

The tool audits database usage. It took the onus off of the database and put it on a separate machine. Creating a report requires advanced coding skills and is not intuitive.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the ability to audit database use. It conformed well. We set it up the way we wanted it.

How has it helped my organization?

It took the onus off of the database and put it on a separate machine.

What needs improvement?

I see room for improvement in almost all areas. The most important area is with custom reports. It was extremely difficult to create a report. The process to customize the reports requires a lot of research into how to code it. It takes advanced coding skills and is not intuitive. I couldn’t get them to work and I have a background in code writing.

The page for creating custom reports didn’t have an interface. The default reports did not suit our needs. There was no easy way to create reports – I had to look at the code that created the default reports and figure out how to change them to get the information we needed.

I worked with this solution for two years.

We constantly have stability issues. The product puts an agent on each managed server to process audit information. The agents were constantly going down without warning and missed auditing data.

Any upgrade or patch required a complete reinstall. This was inconvenient.

We have used technical support. The SRs we opened with Oracle were ignored because no one had any experience with the product. A Level 1 (production down) ticket went unanswered for weeks.

The installation took a blank server and installed Oracle Linux, Oracle Database 11.2.0.4, and the web-based application at once. Setting it up was an adventure and the documentation was poor.

What other advice do I have?

Good luck.