Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

The features that we have applied to our project have helped to reduce manual effort and increase our scalability.

Valuable Features

The main features we use and has helped us to implement our ETL process are

• Data transformation
  • In memory engine
  • KM customization
  • User friendly GUI
  • Versioning
  • Big Data support
  • Security support
  • Easy deployment
  • Reusable Mapping
  • Multiple Target Load
  • ELT Architecture
  • Application Server support for other vendor servers such as IBM Websphere

Improvements to My Organization

The features that we have applied to our project has helped us reduce manual effort and increased our scalability and growth. I worked on multiple domains where requirements were adversely different. We used many ODI features to enhanced our data transformation capability.

Room for Improvement

I am personally satisfied with current version, however, I think they should be able to provide a feature where we can easily use a configuration tool for TFS, GIT etc. This is essential for code management.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for six years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

9/10

8/10

I have not used any other product. However, I have seen other ETL tools in use such as BODS, SOA, and Informatica and I did not like them as I did not that they were user friendly.

It was straightforward. I used an application server for the initial setup and I did not find any challenges.

Implementation Team

We performed an in-house one. If you have a technical team for ODI, then they can easily perform any implementation. If not, then you should have the vendor perform your implementation.

ROI

10/10

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It is not as costly as other ETL tools.

Other Advice

You should use Oracle Data Integrator for your data transformation, or at the very least give it a try.

2 Comments
Brian DandeneauConsultantTOP 5LEADERBOARD

What is your favorite Valuable Feature? I personally like Reusable Mappings and Knowledge Module (KM) Customization.

14 June 16
Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

I personally feel the valuable feature is, its architecture(ELT) and KM Customization.
because of this architecture, we can save more time to transform data in target system without any hassle.
With KM customization we can do what ever we want to do.
In my previous assignment, Mostly all KM were customized. it was not like that it was not serving our requirement but we wanted some session/data tracking in server level. so it was very helpful.

Next with this customization feature, we adopted and create many things which were not in 10g. Now we have already moved to latest versions.

This is tiny area for me to write everything here. Yes ODI has many feature which we still not explored like integration with cloud etc. I know those features have capability to turn the business on higher level.

15 June 16