Oracle Database as a Service Review

As opposed to on-premises, I can scale up and down as needed. It's a convenient solution.

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

Easiness, that's number one for me because I use the cloud for testing purposes. When I present about database things because I do a lot of presentations and I like to test on the cloud. This cloud is everywhere so when I'm presenting here in US, I have the same cloud available that I have in Finland where I prepared my presentation. It's very easy and very convenient. I use Oracle Databases.

How has it helped my organization?

What is the best place for an Oracle database if it's not the Oracle Cloud? If I take any of the other clouds that wouldn't be the same. Of course the best is the Oracle's original cloud.

What needs improvement?

I think most of the customers are hoping for having 24/7 kind of support for if anything happens during the night, they will fix it without you knowing it. Of course there will be an extra cost for the customer but it shouldn't be too much. That's what I think most of the customers will be happy with. You don't have to have your own operators to look after your operation system and the databases and so on and Oracle would look after all that. They have those services but I think they're a bit expensive at the moment.

I think scalability is the top thing here because you are just able to scale up and down whenever you feel like it. You can't do it on premises.

Nobody is ever happy with support with any vendor so if I would say I would give them the score five, everybody would be laughing. There is no support that is 100% good. Usually it's been after it's been down or something like that. If I find a back or an error or something like that, I might need to contact somebody to fix it but I've had very good support by friends who work for Oracle. Not the official channels has been very efficient so all my problems have been solved.

Usually it's a long process so it starts when you realize that the hardware you have is going to be obsolete and you start your process there. You know one year from now I have to do something, I have to buy new hardware, I have to do something. That's usually where the process starts and then you start thinking should I buy a new hardware or should I go to the cloud.

It's the same as you're changing from one machine to another machine, it's just the same. You're just changing from one machine to a cloud. We did that for one of our customers and it was very, very easy and simple.

Reliability I will say that's the most important thing and what I learnt today from the keynote was that people are afraid about security and especially about the vendor security. I think that's something that you should really look at when you are choosing your vendor. How are they taking care of your security? Because you have all your valuable data in that cloud, you don't want anybody to go and mess with it.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I'm a Finn, I never give ten for anything. I would say seven or eight which is very good for me. There's a lot to improve yet but I think it's getting pretty good already. Let's say eight, I'm in a good mood today.

I would start with a test database. I would go with them to cloud first to get the experience because most of the people are afraid of the cloud. They don't know what to expect and how they juggle things and so on because they're used to see the computer, touch them and know exactly what is where and what kind of block you have in your computer and so on. So it's very scary to let somebody else take care of that things. The first step would probably be give your test databases to the cloud and see how it works and realize that actually now you have time for the real job instead of doing constant upgrades and so on. I would start with the test database to get experience and the touching feeling of how it is.

**Disclosure: IT Central Station contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a gold partner.
More Oracle Database as a Service reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Azure
1 Comment

author avatarit_user179736 (Director of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees)

Our experience was about the opposite. We went to scale up storage space, and could not. Without the help of our support specialist, we would have never gotten this accomplished. We are moving to a different cloud server in the coming months, so this should not happen again. But one of the things we have loved about the Oracle Cloud has been support. Definitely leaps and bounds ahead of where the on-premise product is in terms of technical support.

Thanks for offering your perspective. I'd be interested to hear the experience of others.