Oracle Database as a Service Overview

Oracle Database as a Service is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Database as a Service vendors. It is most often compared to Amazon RDS: Oracle Database as a Service vs Amazon RDS

What is Oracle Database as a Service?
Oracle Database Cloud Service combines the power of Oracle Database, with the unique capabilities of the Oracle Cloud. The service provides a secure, automated data management platform that leverages on demand Oracle Cloud Infrastructure services via a simple web based user interface and RESTful API. Oracle Database Cloud Service provides elastic database services for development, test, and production environments of custom and packaged online transaction processing (OLTP), data warehousing, and mixed workload applications. It enables businesses to reap all Oracle Platform as a Service (PaaS) benefits including subscriptionbased, self-service access to reliable, scalable, and elastic cloud environments and accelerates time to value by simplifying the provisioning and administration of Oracle databases.

Oracle Database as a Service is also known as Oracle DBaaS, Oracle Database Cloud.

Oracle Database as a Service Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Database as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Oracle Database as a Service Customers
Solution-Soft, DX Marketing, Suredell and Partners, Frontiers, SettleOurEstate.com, Demand Analysis Ltd, endlich IT & Projekt Service OHG
Oracle Database as a Service Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Database as a Service pricing:
  • "The pricing may seem expensive, but the value corresponds to the quality of the product."
  • "The price depends on the solution you choose: standard, enterprise, or high performance. For example, enterprise can start between 0.4 an hour up to 1,800. Additional fees also depends on what package you choose. Your feels will be different if you choose the standard, enterprise, high performance, or extreme package. You will pay in relation to what option you ask for. The price is very good if you compare it to other databases."
  • "The pricing is a little bit expensive."

Ahmed Abdelwahed
IT Program Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good, reliable product for providing database as a service and helps manage the traffic on the network

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for business applications. I was working for a company and they provided software as a service. We were serving applications to our customers. For example, we were working locally on a system using Oracle. Then another company would need access to a different application and they would come to us to supply it. As a developer, I was using this solution to develop delivery systems principally as a convenience for our customers.

• "It is a product brought to you by a company that concentrates only on database solutions, so it is the best at what it does."
  • "The interface can be difficult and there may be so many features that users and even vendors are unaware that they exist."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises solution because the customer has to have their own environment. In our case, for our clients, that's one of the big advantages. A potential issue might be getting used to the Oracle interface. Personally, I didn't use the interface provided by Oracle. In that way, the interface was not a problem for me because I used to use a third-party application like Toad that maybe more people are already familiar with and I think is easy for me to use already. We are using the same server software application. I don't know if Oracle provided database software and SQL developer or…
KR
Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable with good analysis and diagnosis functionality

What is our primary use case?

We can use the product for so many things. For example, we can use it for integrating with different services, and as a middleware, using it to access the Oracle forms. I've used it with things like Enterprise Manager Cloud Control or Enterprise Manager.

• "If the solution is installed in your environment correctly, you are not going to have any issues whatsoever. It's problem-free."
  • "One of the things that I have noticed is that there are some services that will give you a hard time during implementation if you are looking at the documentation of Oracle. Sometimes the documentation information is quite limited. It's an aspect of the solution they could improve."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user and we help clients that are also using Oracle. We're using an older version of the solution. As an IT company, we provide services to different companies. Right now we are working on a project which is running on an older version, 11G. It's a government institute. However, we support a huge number of users. I always recommend Oracle for my clients, to those who are interested in engaging technologies. I always encourage others to also take certification courses. Oracle has had free courses for the cloud, and I really advise those interested in the solution…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database as a Service. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Osama Mustafa
Cloud Expert | DevOps | Oracle Consultant at confidential
Easy to manage and good performance

What is our primary use case?

We usually use the on-premise version, but we have also implemented it on the cloud in three or four projects. Our primary use case is probably with regards to the ease of management. It actually reduces the cost of the databases. Also, the storage cases we are dealing with are different. It is not just the client. We also use Database as a Service.

• "One of the key features is Oracle Database as a Service. We chose to implement it as a service, which provides good performance, for example. Flexibility and other features let us implement database research with the SQL team range of features also."
  • "The direct scaling is a feature that has room for improvement. I would like to see virtual management machines that can scale storage well with zero downtime. The backup option and patching would then be much easier to do."

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that migration actually takes some time. Also, keep in mind what your data size is. If you are going to have a huge database size, just migrate to Database as a Service. I would rate this as nine out of ten.
ST
CEO at QUERIX (UK) LIMITED
Great security and database system resilience but needs to improve its documentation functionality

What is our primary use case?

We primarily are using the solution for clients who want to migrate their applications. We have an on-premises version for testing to see how that would work.

• "The most valuable aspects of the solution are the general database system resilience and security."
  • "Documentation is difficult to find. Since we're experienced with Oracle technology, we have also found many errors in it. Not everything is 100% accurate."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're currently experimenting with Oracle at the moment. Currently, customers are looking for and experimenting with various databases. The clients that I've talked to have asked about MySQL or Amazon Aurora Database as well Microsoft Secret Server. In terms of Oracle, what I've heard from some clients was that the cloud database was a disappointment for them compared to the on-premise database. Some of them were regretful about doing that sort of migration. They told me they were over-promised, and the cloud database didn't deliver. The on-premise…
MS
Senior BackEnd .net at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Solution helps our clients migrate databases quickly to the cloud

What is our primary use case?

Our clients have a variety of use cases for this solution. It can be used at gas stations and supermarkets.

• "My impression of the scalability of Oracle Database as a Service is very high."
  • "The initial setup is complex. This is not a really easy solution. It is very large, so it's hard to install, but it's not impossible."
MohamedEl Azzouzi
Production Systems Engineer at Sofrecom
Easy to use, scales quickly, and has good support available

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for multiple databases. I have written Oracle scripts for operational databases and uploading databases. Our environment includes a Red Hat server with two storage devices for high availability.

• "When we want more information on something that we are using, it is easy to find related topics on the internet."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see a framework for memory management."

What other advice do I have?

I don't use the management features because I don't work with the GUI. I prefer to use the command line. Oracle is a very good solution that I would recommend. It is strong software with good support and documentation available. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Ahmad Hida
Senior Application Consultant at a tech services company
A stable solution with a straightforward setup, even for a non-technical person

• "Scalability is very easy. If you want to, you can make it onto two or three servers, racks, or whatever you want. It's easy."
  • "Some of the technical features could be improved. They have a problem with some of the object types. I think this is one of the issues which is needed to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I use some other databases, like Microsoft and MySQL, but they don't have the same performance as Oracle. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
MV
Founder at a legal firm with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good integration with Oracle products, but it is expensive and the licensing is complicated

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Oracle Database as a Service is one of the products that we supply to our clients. When we sell application solutions, such as one for core banking, they all need a database. In some cases, we use this service to satisfy the requirement.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration into other Oracle applications.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model is complicated and should be simplified. There are different prices that depend on hardware and other factors.

I have been working with this service for between four and five years.

We engage with a partner to perform the installation of this managed service to…
Product Categories
Database as a Service
Download our free Oracle Database as a Service Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.