Oracle Linux Review

Easy to use and configure for other Oracle products, as I can just run a pre-validated package.

Valuable Features

Oracle Linux is very easy to use and very easy to configure for other Oracle products. For example, if you use NoteTaker, it's so easy to just get to the part that's the pre-validated package and very easy to script everything. I can get a new machine in a few minutes. Of course, you don't need a subscription, you can use the public key repository, so it makes the installation even easier. I can run tons of Linux boxes like this for all of our QA, for example. I can just spin a new one and that's very nice.

Room for Improvement

It needs things like OpenStack and LXC containers, support for Docker and resource manager in Docker. However, this is all in their road map and they have it all covered. Even before I find something lacking, Oracle already knows about it and it will get done.

Use of Solution

I've used it since version 4.

We've had no issues with deployment.

It's rock solid. It's completely perfect. It's enterprise-grade Linux, so we've had no issues with instability.

I don't really know about its scalability because we don't use it for large installations. We just usually use many smaller ones so we can run independent tests on them.

It's been so stable that I've never had to contact technical support.

It's very straightforward and simple to set up.

Implementation Team

We implemented it ourselves without in-house team.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners