Oracle Linux OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Linux is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Operating Systems for Business. It is most often compared to Ubuntu Linux: Oracle Linux vs Ubuntu Linux

What is Oracle Linux?

Oracle Linux and Oracle Virtualization are powerful open source foundation products optimized for building both Private and Public Cloud Infrastructure. They provide a secure, scalable, and flexible platform for running both legacy and next generation Cloud Native Applications. As the foundation for Oracle’s Public and Managed Clouds, customers benefit from the comprehensive co-engineering which ensures a robust and highly manageable platform that is battle-tested in one of the worlds largest public clouds.. Unlike many other commercial Linux distributions, Oracle Linux is easy to download and completely free to use, free to distribute, and free to update. And Oracle Linux Support levels are simple and low cost, featuring Premier lifetime support, access to additional management tools such as Oracle Enterprise Manager, zero-downtime kernel updates using Ksplice, and access to award-winning Oracle support resources and customer support specialists.

For more information on Oracle Linux, visit Oracle.com/linux and see a whitepaper here

Oracle Linux is also known as Oracle Enterprise Linux.

Oracle Linux Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Linux Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Oracle Linux Customers

See here

Oracle Linux Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Linux pricing:
  • "Nowadays, Oracle is very open toward price negotiation; they negotiate well with their clients"
  • "The licensing is expensive."
  • "Oracle Linux is very cheap at this time."
  • "This is an open-source product that can be used free of charge."

MA
Technical Presales Consultant/ Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, with good technical support, but it works well only with Oracle products

What is our primary use case?

Oracle Linux is basically Red Hat. It's the same. Oracle took the CentOS project, which is Red Hat, and made its own enhancements. They added something they call 3DBear, which is their proprietary technology. They call it the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK). Oracle took Red Hat, stripped a lot of the software that was not needed for Oracle, which made Red Hat much smaller. They optimized the UEK for their Oracle database applications. A customer who is planning to have an Oracle database and is looking to see whether to choose to go with Oracle Linux or SUSE Linux or Red Hat, the best… more »

• "Oracle Linux for Oracle databases is the top. There's no doubt whatsoever."
  • "Oracle Linux, needs to support more packages."

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would not recommend this solution, but if you are going to be running Oracle databases, then yes, I would recommend Oracle Linux. If you are going to be running Oracle-based solutions, or if your data center mainly is controlled by the Oracle Corporation then yes Oracle Linux would be the best choice. You shouldn't go with Oracle Linux if you're not going to be using Oracle products. As I am not particularly interested in Oracle, I would rate Oracle Linux a seven out of ten. If however, I was, then I would rate it a ten out of ten.
NareshMote
Data Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Offers leading performance and security for hybrid and multi-cloud deployments

• "Oracle Linux is very compatible with other platforms."
  • "I think they should also pay more attention to the open-source community."

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in Oracle Linux, make sure you know the infrastructure of where it's going inside and out. You have to have a clear idea of where exactly your organization is heading in the future, whether private cloud or public cloud. These decisions are not made in seconds, minutes, or even days or weeks. But you have to have a clear idea. For example, if a company wants to use Oracle Linux and they think after two or three years they might be in a hybrid cloud, or maybe a public cloud, they had to make sure they aren't too dependent on the operating system. Whatever software packages…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rusi Popov
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Core functionality is good, stable and can install in an hour

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for a project that I am trying to migrate it to the cloud. My experience with the cloud is at the beginners level. I haven't tested the solution very much yet but according to the published documentation, opinions etc., I see that Oracle Linux is the closest to my needs for future migration to the cloud.

• "Once installed, the product is good, I like it. The core of the software is really good."
  • "The installation documentation needs to be improved"

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Linux an eight out of ten.
SU
Master Consultant - RedHat & Oracle Cloud, Virtualization , Automation at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with good pricing and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

Our organization uses mostly Oracle engineered systems and appliances such as Oracle Exadata, PCA Private Cloud Appliance, Oracle Database Appliance, etc. Anything that is an engineering solution from Oracle, essentially. We also use Oracle Virtualization, OVM. These are on Linux.

• "The stability is excellent and the initial setup is easy."
  • "It would be ideal if they added a faster implementation of the security fixes, if possible."

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner and reseller of Oracle. I would recommend the solution, especially for the organizations that could be interested in zero downtime patch-ins. That is what the Oracle Linux case flies provide. I don't think the same feature are available in RHEL. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
MW
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Has a more stable kernel than Red Hat Enterprise Linux

What is our primary use case?

We used Oracle Enterprise Linux to replace a Red Hat Enterprise Linux environment because Oracle Linux rolled out a new kernel. We thought it might be more stable than our previous edition.

• "We use Oracle Linux to test our software, and we also recommend Oracle Linux to our customers."
  • "The download speed is not good. Oracle can improve their servers capacity, especially in Asia."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle Linux an eight out of 10. Linux Enterprise is used in our customer's data center. The users may use a lot of server resources, so we recommend they buy a license. Sometimes they need to buy hundreds of server licenses, so the price consideration is important as the licensing is expensive. Our customers tend to use other editions such as CentOS, and other free editions. However, the free editions are not stable. Indeed, the free version provided by Oracle is not stable.
Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Useful for hosting other Oracle products

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution for our Oracle Database.

• "It's very useful for hosting other Oracle products."
  • "We'd like it if it was a bit more secure."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution at this time. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're quite happy with the capabilities of the solution so far. It works as expected and does what we need it to do. I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.
KH
Data Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to install, stable and scalable, with good support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution internally to develop our systems. Our developers work in another section to develop the data center. We provide services to the developers and other business units.

• "The good thing about Oracle Linux is that it's free, as long as you don't want support."
  • "They should increase security."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Oracle Linux and eight out of ten.
MS
Manager of Customer Services with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, good patching capability, and secure by default

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as a DNS server. We also have Oracle Vault and Oracle Fire installed on it. We are planning to use it as a model system, for learning.

• "The user interface is comfortable and easy to use."
  • "The GUI could be made more attractive."

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Linux is a product that I recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 5 more Oracle Linux Reviews
Download our free Oracle Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.