Oracle MySQL Cloud Service Review

A good autonomous database that scales easily and has a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for publishing. We use tickets to monitor for alerts to understand which host is down or has poor performance.

What is most valuable?

In Oracle MySQL they have an autonomous database now. Once we get it up and running, the best part is that it scales the application and helps automatically deal with issues that come in.

What needs improvement?

Integrating business intelligence or NLP solutions would help us save time and would prevent us from having to take a deep dive. Data problems seem to multiply on the system when you interact with it. Automation would save a lot of man-hours.

I've been using the solution for three to five years.

The solution is stable. Normally the dev space plays an important role in how we shape the environment.

We deployed it in the OC environment.

Oracle normally looks at two types of scalability. One is vertical and the other is horizontal. Oracle right now doesn't try to vertically scale the database unless and until it's required to add OTT or RAM. However, it does take care of the eventual scaling wherein it makes sure the connectors are in line and there are multiple servers in the cluster starting line.

A good scaling job provides convenience and reliability. It also makes sure that there are different data centers across the globe. You need at least four or five data centers, based on the speed of the application. Whatever the nearest location is, they'll keep trying to go there, to get the data the right way.

The dev-ops team does a great deal of getting it in line, to make sure we get data in a seamless way. Of course, our cluster has been done so horizontal scaling. This type of scaling is what we focus on.

In the trial we conducted, we had 1,182 people on the solution without facing any problems.

The solution increases logarithmically via batches we direct on a weekly basis.

We're very happy with technical support. They have incorporated a chatbot, and if the issue is out of reach of the chatbot, it automatically directs you to an agent. The solution is also very good when it comes to handling SLAs.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The initial deployment was on the dev side. We staged it off the cloud and then moved onto it. It took us around a week to deploy everything. Then we had all the dev-ops integrated into Oracle. With everything included, it took us some time to replicate it all and have it ready to go.

We handled the implementation ourselves. We have all the tools and partially use open source solutions to streamline the data and integrate everything.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

If a company is looking for an autonomous database, which is one of this solution's unique features compared, this is a good option. They won't have to worry much about data issues or getting a database or scaling, etc.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, EnterpriseDB, Firebird and others in Open Source Databases. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.