pfSense Review

Great pricing, good documentation, and offers very good integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I use the product for many enterprise clients, including building construction, government, and education.

What is most valuable?

The documentation is very good.

The pricing is okay. It's not too expensive.

The integration capabilities are great. The product can integrate well with Check Point and Fortinet. They make it a very easy process.

It's very good at defending our company.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the solution could integrate with Snort and OpenVPN.

The technical support needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for ten years at this point.

The technical support is not great. It's very slow. Sometimes it will take four days in order to connect with them, which is actually a decent timeframe for them.

Their documentation, however, is pretty good.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. The onboarding process is pretty good. They make everything very, very easy. People shouldn't have any issues with implementation.

We've found the pricing to be very fair. It's actually pretty low. The licensing is very inexpensive.

We looked at Fortinet and CheckPoint in relation to how they work with Linux.

In the case of Fortinet, the content filter is a URL content filter. It's very different and it's complex to use.

What other advice do I have?

We're a pfSense partner.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten. It's been very good to work with.

I would recommend the solution. pfSense is superior in terms of defending against attacks.

More pfSense reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
Learn what your peers think about pfSense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.