pfSense Review
The product offers many additional functions except the ability to manage it from a mobile platform, which would be good to add.

Valuable Features

Two particular features stand out to me:

1. The WAN load balancing feature
  2. The product offers many additional functions such as router, WLC, and traffic analysis etc.

Improvements to My Organization

It has enhanced our organization because of its versatility. It doesn't need expensive hardware to build a robust firewall, therefore, providing a saving on cost. Also, its reliability is quite remarkable which allows IT to focus on other tasks, and how efficiently it manages our WAN traffic.

Room for Improvement

I think the dashboard/interface could be improved and the ability to manage it from a mobile platform.

Use of Solution

I have used this solution for the past two years.

No issues encountered.

I have never had to use customer service.

I've never used it, but their technical knowledge base, and via online documents and forums, is quite good, but not excellent.

We didn't have a previous solution.

It wasn't straightforward but at the same time not complex. The only issue was identifying relevant static routes to move traffic in and out our network.

Implementation Team

I implemented it myself.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The setup cost was practically zero because we had servers in stock. Also, there is no real day-to-day cost attached with it either.

Other Solutions Considered

No evaluation took place, we just looked at the initial cost to implement a solution using the hardware we have, and how fast it could be rolled out

Other Advice

Plan, research and test certain features and configurations in a lab environment first.