pfSense Review

The web UI gives you an overview of everything you want to see​.

What is most valuable?

• Fail-over of between multiple ISPs
  • Firewall
  • Graphs
  • Real time interface monitoring
  • The web UI gives you an overview of everything you want to see
  • For an open-source solution it has performed fantastically
  • OSPF
  • It contains loads of optional packages e.g Snort (IDS), asterix (PBX), network monitors etc.

How has it helped my organization?

We have pfSense across three sites where it manages the VPN and firewalls between them. Also, it has reduced costs drastically and has outperformed its expectations.

What needs improvement?

The load balancing can be improved as it uses tier levels to balance. For it to function most effectively, you often need to have the same bandwidth on the ISPs.

We've used it for six years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

There were stability issues with certain versions, but fixes were released and the right hardware helped.

We do have issues as the right hardware needs to be deployed in order to expand correctly in certain areas.

We use a vendor team, Shrike Technologies who have been excellent, and once a while I consulted the pfSense cookbook.

The online forum has lots of answers.

We previously used Monowall and switched because we needed more functionality.

We used a vendor team, Shrike Technologies whose experience was very high.

Pricing is fantastic, we have gold subscription which covers on-line backup of device configurations, premium support, webinars and lots more.

What other advice do I have?

Proper planning is necessary in order to select the right hardware and configuration required (rules, services etc.).