pfSense Review

What is our primary use case?

I use pfSense firewall, especially as an IPSec VPN Server. There are several VPN connections with equipment of various manufacturers at the other end.

I use ServerU as hardware instead of an ordinary PC, as most other people usually do.

How has it helped my organization?

The gain in performance and security from configuring the VPN connections was significant, since pfSense has replaced a server with a custom Linux open source version, which was running on outdated hardware.

What is most valuable?

Security and stability. The pfSense server acts as "IPSec VPN Server" for a small financial institution, but regardless of the company size, interruptions would cause significant financial impact.

What needs improvement?

pfSense serves us very well. My only observation is about the quality of the IPSec logs, which are difficult to interpret and are poor in filters. I have more than 10 IPSec VPN connections, and when there is a need for troubleshooting, the logs are of little help.

Three to five years.

With regard to this configuration, I consider it a stable solution.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Manager, Live Production at a software R&D company with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

Thanks for the information!

18 April 18