PostgreSQL Review

You can provide a multi-component with the database at the same service with the same performance and scalability

What is our primary use case?

The database for the accounting systems is our primary use case for this solution. Business software is 80% of my use case in the accounting software. It's a good tool for planning. I work with financial data and the data mining aspect is very important, as I need to access the data easily. The data is the most important thing. Sometimes the software developers forget this part because they just want to save the data on the database, but they don't know how to manipulate the data. The performance of the solution is dependant on how easily and quickly you can obtain access to the data.

What is most valuable?

I can use Unity Kinematic. It's not easy but you can create a multi-tenant database in Postgres and I think it's a must-have in software development. With the database, you can provide a multi-component at the same service with the same performance, scalability, or all those things.

What needs improvement?

PostgreSQL is limited to 32 TB in maximum table size for version 9.6 and earlier. This can be problematic for large databases. We currently don't have the multi-tenant feature and we require that with the contract integrated reassurance. To create have one tenant or more tenants, I need to implement or develop a software solution to connect with the multi-tenant, and to connect each tenant. PostgreSQL is not great for software developers, but it is adequate. For developers, databases such as Firebase and MongoDB technology are better. With PostgreSQL, all you need the database for is to save your data. This function on its own is not enough. The database and applications can become very slow. To debug you need to make the database query display information on your device. Some developers are not experienced in developing databases. This is especially difficult for junior software developers, and they often need more experience to be able to deal with that aspect.

We have been using Postgres for about 10 years.

It is a stable database.

Because PostgreSQL is limited in regards to the amount of data it can hold in a single table, you often think it might be better to change the technology. Other than that, it is a good solution for business.

Sometimes it is not simple to resolve issues, but the PostgreSQL community sometimes helps to find answers to questions.

I think it is difficult to setup. I amended my ID and Oracle advised me to change it, for it to work.

What other advice do I have?

If you want one tenant, you can use MySQL. If you want a multi-tenant, I think Postgres is better. SQL on PostgreSQL is linked to Oracle. Oracle and Postgres is the same thing, the same language. You will not have a big change for the software developers to migrate from Oracle to Postgres.

I would rate PostgreSQL 8 out of 10.

More PostgreSQL reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with MySQL
Learn what your peers think about PostgreSQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.