PostgreSQL Review

It is, in our experience, the best open source GIS enabled database, with good support from other open-source tools.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are a good feature set, understandable, and good tuning features. It is, also in our experience, the best open source GIS enabled database, with good support from other open-source tools.

The product has easy installation procedures for the OSes we are working with and gives also a good possibility to tune the database for the given usage.

How has it helped my organization?

The database is used to set-up customers projects and is our standard database which we use.

What needs improvement?

One of the features it needs is a tighter integration with business intelligence software, so that the optimisation of the requests can be handled natively in the database. These features are on the roadmap, and are already partially released in the latest version.

We have been using this database for about 18 years.

We have had no issues with the implementation. Most of the issues we have encountered in external installation where due to misconfiguration.

There have been no issues with the stability. Most of the issues we have encountered in external installation where due to misconfiguration.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs. Most of the issues we have encountered in external installation where due to misconfiguration.

We have up until now not needed additional customer or technical support, these can be purchased by supporting companies.

We have been using Oracle software, and in some cases MS SQL server. The price difference between the used products and PostgreSQL was one of the issues. The second was the ease of installation and the availability on different platforms.

The initial setup is easy to perform, but the tuning is a bit more complex. The installation support on Linux flavours is excellent and has native installation packages.

Implementation and installation was carried out in house.

The pricing of the database is open-source and our investment in the product is based on training.