PostgreSQL Review

It has good HA and DR. It's not very user friendly, as it is open source and has no immediate support.

Valuable Features

• Security
  • HA and DR
  • Performance
  • Maintenance

Improvements to My Organization

I worked as a consultant/trainer. I have a few installations of Dev/Test in my VMs, and I don't have anything in the production installation in our organization.

Room for Improvement

It's not very user friendly, as it is open source and has no immediate support. You can download the Enterprise version of Postgres that is a GUI installation and also have a support contract.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for five to six years. I did the PostgreSQL DBA’s training and led the implementation and data migration projects.

We also use the EDB Postgres Plus Advance Server v9.3 (EnterpriseDB). We use it to evaluate the Database migration from Oracle to Postgres. The data level migration was successful but for objects, and at the security level, you have to fix issues manually.

We've had no issues but setting up the replication, security, and login is different from other databases.

We've had no issues with the stability.

There have been no issues with scaling it for our needs.

As mentioned earlier, there's no support contract for open source but with EDB (EnterpriseDB) you have the open to purchase the support contract. I don’t have any experience with EnterpriseDB support.

It's straightforward, as it's an open source product.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

ROI

As it's open source the ROI is quick.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The core product is free but you have to pay for third-party utilities / plugins and support.

Other Solutions Considered

I have evaluated MySQL and Ingres previously and then PostgreSQL. My personal choice is PostgreSQL. I also worked on a migration project from Ingres to Oracle.

Other Advice

• Positive - 100% free as it's open source
  • Negative - it's hard to find expertise

If you are planning to migrate an existing environment, please go through with the full UAT cycle at data, connectivity, objects and apps level.