PostgreSQL Review

It is very complete, clear and useful documentation, forums and diverse information channels.​​​

What is most valuable?

By far indexes is the most useful and robust feature. Also, the query optimization engine is simply great. It is very complete, clear and useful documentation, forums and diverse information channels.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of the enterprise I have worked has been startups and small to medium software industry and data analysis. One of the most improvement it is not in the mean time but in the middle to long time. At first sight it seems to an overkill implement a product as PostgreSql for small projects; even managers and investors tend to put some resistance to it. Then, as soon as projects start scaling and data set increase in size, concurrency, consistency and data types, is were you think PostgreSQL was one of your "hit" on the project design, time give you lot of credits.

What needs improvement?

I think that data types that decrease the breach against NoSql Databases will be the next steps. I am not talking about changing to a pure NoSql DB but to some features that will face the big change in data analysis and maintenance that that DB are facing nowadays. Also tools for distributed replication and clusters should be more researched and improved; anyway nowadays there is some of them.

I have been using PostgreSql since University where I teached students some DB theory concepts. The course was focused on indexing and benchmarking. Also I use it on software industry, as a DB manager, designer and operator; common tools were PL/pgSQl, indexing and tuning; using about 3.0M per month DB tuples inserted and about 500tps on peak points. Finally I use it on personal projects, for small data sets (~1.000).

We have had no issues with the deployment.

I have faced just a few issues working with PostgreSql, one of them was specifically on Hash Index (see as example http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-createindex.html.

We have had no issues scaling it for our needs.

Most of the great value of PostgreSQL is the variety of technical support you can find Consulting, lots of forums, and big communities who have been using and documenting PostgreSQL for a long time. I have never faced a problem or question that couldn't be solved using these channels.

I have worked with MySQL and Oracle solutions. Against MySQL, performance is the big difference. PostgreSQL is far more robust and mature than MySQL, especially when you think about keys and indexes. Against other databases, such as Oracle, the easy installation steps of PostgreSQL is the best difference for me.

I have faced a few issues while installing it and configuring it; most of them related to incompatibility while using old Ubuntu Linux versions.

I have always implemented it in-house, and as all solutions for everything on vast areas, is highly recommended read guides on how to install it.

ROI is by far fair enough for startups and enterprise projects that are expecting a big grow in the mean time.

PostgreSQL license is a fair enough for small to medium size business solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Just read the comparisons between different database engines, and read some documentation so you can exploit most of the powerful tools and functions it has.