PostgreSQL Review

We keep the logic in the database and we only need to constructs need crawlers that feed the database with more text to process.

Valuable Features

• Stored Procedures
  • Full Text Search

One of our products crawls information from different web sites and then detects if some keywords are there based on a business logic. The business logic was programmed in Stored Procedures using Full Text Search to detect keywords that we wanted in the extracted text. Doing it this way, we keep the logic in the database and we only need to constructs need crawlers that feed the database with more text to process.

Improvements to My Organization

The Full Text Search functionality saved us a lot of time because we didn’t need to program that ourselves.

Room for Improvement

We don’t have any real database expert in the company, we are mostly developers. So I wouldn’t know if something would need improvement or we just haven’t learn how to use it properly yet.

However, less advanced programmers may have a bit of a learning curve. Also, it will make a difference with your database only once you get past the basic levels.

Use of Solution

I've used it for over three years.

We've had no issues with the deployment.

Very stable product.

There have been no issues with the stability.

Haven’t try it yet. We solve our problems ourselves for the moment.

Straightforward, however, we are all advanced programmers so the learning curve might have been easier for us.

Implementation Team

In-house. There is a lot of good information on the web and stackoverflow.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

PostgreSQL is free, so great ROI!

Other Solutions Considered

We compared it to MySQL, Oracle and we though PostgreSQL Full Text Search functionality was the best for what we needed.

Other Advice

At basic levels the database won’t do much difference, focus first in learning how to build queries properly, create index, etc.

An image of our product achieved with Full Text Search.