PostgreSQL Review

It has excellent support for many programming languages. We've been able to integrate it with Java, PHP, Perl and .NET without any issues.

Valuable Features:

PostgreSQL has excellent support for many programming languages. We've been able to integrate it with Java, PHP, Perl and .NET without any issues.

Replication is also working pretty good in a master to read only replica setup in AWS.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've been able to cut costs on databases over our previous solution with Microsoft SQL Server and migrate many applications into Amazon web services. Performance has been decent.

Room for Improvement:

By far the biggest limitations are in replication support. A native master to master replication option would make things much easier as we're in need of an easier method to load balance traffic with Spring Data.

PostgreSQL is slower than MySQL with insert performance. While using COPY can make an application fast, we often use ORMs which cannot benefit from this.

9.4 seemed to have some regressions with the query planner and multi table joins are slower than in previous versions.

Use of Solution:

I've been using PostgreSQL for 5 years.

Deployment Issues:

Finding the right configuration to balance performance and connections was a little challenging in our setup.

Scalability Issues:

We've encountered some CPU bound scalability issues with multi table joins (3-4) and the query planner seems to ignore indexes at times.

Previous Solutions:

Initially applications at my current employer used Microsoft SQL Server. The cost for licensing/maintaining windows systems was more than we liked. PostgreSQL has offered similar performance for our workloads with lower cost.