PostgreSQL Review

We were able to integrate disperate data sources into our Postgres Data Warehouse.

Valuable Features

Overall it is an excellent RDBMS and it is easy to use and administer. In PostgreSQL 9.5 the table inherent Foreign Data Wrappers(FDW) is available. This extension is available for most databases which makes building server federation very possible.

In 9.5 support for FDW was improved which means it is now possible to import a complete foreign schema. Foreign Table inheritance is now supported as well. They have also improved the Foreign Query optimization since v9.4. Lastly, It has low maintenance requirements so not much has to be done as far as DBA tasks go.

Improvements to My Organization

We were able to use the latest features described above to facilitate the integration of disperate data sources into our Postgres Data Warehouse.

Room for Improvement

• Improved support for parallel query execution
  • Merge Joins
  • Improved Handling of Materialized Views

Use of Solution

I've been using it for years.

We have had no issues with the deployment.

There have been no performance issues. It's a very stable environment.

It's been able to scale for our needs and easy to extend when needed.

Although there is no tech support, it has a large user community who are always helping each other.

Other Advice

The last few versions work great out of the box without much config changes. Don't be afraid to try it.

More PostgreSQL reviews from users