- Perfect virtualization server, as it has 4 Intel Xeon 7500 sockets and 64 DIMM slots to utilize 1TB of RAM.
- R910 utilizes Intel’s RAS (Machine check architecture) feature which monitors hardware errors and recovers from them, which provides advanced reliability for critical applications. We are using these servers for our Oracle databases, web applications, and terminal services, and are very happy with it.
- Server has a dual Secure Digital (SD) non-volatile memory card for hypervisor failover and VMWare ESXi, which can be installed directly on this card for redundancy.
- The 4U Rack server was intelligently designed, as all components are easily reachable and also have a lot of room for expansion. Dell has designed this system to be tool-less and so for any maintenance, you don’t need a screw driver.
- IDRAC6 connectivity enables our administrators to manage the servers remotely.
Room for Improvement:
We have been using R910 servers in our data center for 2 years and have not encountered any serious issue.
PowerEdge R910 is a powerful machine which supports 1TB RAM and takes advantage of its Nehalem EX processing power using 4 sockets including 32 cores. We strongly recommend R910 for efficient and scalable server infrastructure.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Jul 12 2012