Prolexic Review

Zero configuration is needed for DDoS mitigation and content delivery.

What is most valuable?

Prolexic PLXRoute allows businesses to have on-demand DDoS protection. There is no need to call Prolexic SOC requesting DDoS mitigation to be deactivated because of legitimate traffic being scrubbed.

PLXRoute – 8: The PLXRoute

• Gives businesses control of their traffic path, minimizing the amount of interaction businesses must have with Prolexic Technical Team.
  • Once initially configured and operational, zero configuration is needed for DDoS mitigation and content delivery.
  • DDoS NetOps can be automated.

PLXProxy – 6

• Geared towards businesses of all sizes with very little technical staff.
  • Easily configured and manage by staff with knowledge of web hosting

How has it helped my organization?

With Prolexic PLXRoute solution, we were able to transition from a Prolexic managed DDoS mitigation infrastructure to a business managed solution. At first, we were using Prolexic PLXProxy solution during times of high traffic. We would experience latency that was unacceptable for adequately servicing our customers on our real-time betting platform. With Prolexic PLXRoute we can bypass Prolexic scrubbing centers on demand.

What needs improvement?

The reports need to be improved.

PLXRoute – 8: The PLXRoute

• Requires good technical staff to configure, manage and monitor the PLXRoute infrastructure.
  • PLXRoute configuration on the business side can be configured by Prolexic Technical Team at a cost.
  • Poor reporting. The reports provided doesn’t give detailed information about DDoS mitigations, bandwidth utilization, etc.
  • Can be difficult to manage if technical personnel are not available on staff.

PLXProxy – 6

• Any changes to service offerings (website URL, web security) will require Prolexic to make change to their Proxy servers
  • Poor reporting. The reports provided don’t give detailed information about DDoS mitigations, bandwidth utilization, etc.
  • Security certificates must be shared with Prolexic to be configured on their proxy servers.

I had used Prolexic Proxy Solution (PLXProxy) for a period of about eight years and Prolexic Routed On-Demand (PLXRoute) for about three years.

We haven’t had stability problems. PLXRoute and PLXProxy are very stable products.

Prolexic technical support is second to none. If you are a networking professional with a solid skills set, the technical team at Prolexic will be glad to work with you so that knowledge can be exchanged. They will also build a close technical relationship with you, giving you ideas and solutions for your datacenter(s).

We didn’t have a previous solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Once negotiations about licensing and contact are complete, you will receive detailed documentation. If you are a highly skilled networking professional but are lacking confidence in performing the necessary configuration, Prolexic technical staff will extend their support to assist in configuring your infrastructure.

Prolexic has been our choice from day one.

What other advice do I have?

Any business looking to implement any of the solutions that Prolexic offers will need to exercise due diligence. Working with Prolexic can become costly. Prolexic licensing and contracts take into account bandwidth, level of technical support required, eBDP Peers (for PLXRoute), and number of websites (for PLXProxy). If a business doesn't understand what they are offering and what is required to protect it, then they may over or under subscribe to Prolexic services.