Pyramid Analytics Review

Analyzes multi-dimensional information sets but lacks necessary documentation and training material

What is our primary use case?

We're actually working with a massive client that uses Pyramid Analytics as their prescribed solution. Pyramid Analytics is an on-brand solution within our client's space. Within our client's organization, there are probably a few hundred people using this solution.

We use this solution for BI reporting on various aspects of our client's organization. Our client is a very large retail organization. They encompass most of the domains you would think of in a typical, large international organization. We use Pyramid Analytics for business visualization to give the C-level more accurate and real-time information as to what's happening.

I am not sure if our client has plans to increase their usage of this product. Considering the number of resources they have invested in it, I presume they do. We're talking many years with many hundreds of permits for information professionals — it's big money. I can only presume that they have plans to expand. From my perspective as an architect, I don't think re-architecting is even commercially viable. They'll have to expand and go on.

What is most valuable?

The data model capabilities seem great to me. It seems quite performant in analyzing multi-dimensional information sets and presenting them. I think that's cool. I think its graphic designer's a bit clunky and cumbersome, but it seems that they've got a good thing under there in the engine room.

What needs improvement?

A few of our internal team members mentioned that they are struggling to find solid info on Pyramid training courses. We could really benefit from a video studio. Most of our team members are experimentally fumbling through the platform as of now. As part of the included architecture, I'd love it if they actually introduced some guides and better information on Pyramid.

The general amount of negative comments that I am hearing from my team makes me very wary. So much so that if it were possible, at this point, I would direct our client in another way; however, it's too late for that now given the amount of legacy and stuff they've already put into it. I don't think it's even commercially viable to suggest that — people would start crying.

It's not very user-friendly. From my experience and from listening to our team, even basic functions, like moving graphic artifacts, can be a nightmare.

It could use a built-in training library as Sequel and Tableau have. This way you wouldn't have to guess, you could just click the menu and find out what to do and how.

We have been using Pyramid Analytics for roughly one month.

Pyramid Analytics seems reliable. It seems both scalable and stable.

I'm not sure about how much we've expanded it. We built on an entire data architecture composed of many various systems and players in the market. Pyramid was chosen as the port visualization tool. From what I can see so far, it seems pretty performant.

I am not sure about the scalability. Most of our lags have been on the back end — not Pyramid, really. For this reason, I can't really comment on the scalability. I can't say bad things about the performance and scalability right now. Our client seems to love it.

I saw some comments on the Internet that the online support is good; however, from what my team has been saying, they lack the necessary training information. Although, this might not be directly related to the technical support, as such.

I presume the initial setup was complex because of the size, but I don't know. I am definitely leaning towards the complex side, judging from what it takes to actually just plug it into the rest of org.

I don't know how the licensing works, but I'd presume it's on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

From my experience so far, I would not recommend Pyramid Analytics. However, we've only been using it for a month and it's quite a large platform.

From my professional point of view, as somebody who is experienced with Microsoft, Oracle, and IBM — I trust those solutions. I know what they can do. This is the first time Pyramid's been thrown at me and it looks a little bit inhomogeneous.

When we do a lot of cloud business, when I drift around the cloud platforms, I see Tableau, I see all the big players, but I don't see Pyramid pop up very often. This is the first time I've seen it. This is because it looks a bit dated. Even the designers look a bit dated to me. I am always wary of things that are going to become dated because that's one of the most expensive problems to run into. This thing becomes invalidated by temporal evolution. That's a big problem.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Pyramid Analytics a rating of six. If they want to play with the big boys, they're going to have to put some shoulder to the wheel.

Find out what your peers are saying about Pyramid Analytics, Tableau, Microsoft and others in Business Intelligence (BI) Tools. Updated: September 2021.
536,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.