Quest Foglight for APM Review

We are able to view infrastructure through a single pane of glass. We stopped using technical support because of how slow SR's are resolved.

Improvements to My Organization

We are able to view infrastructure through a single pane of glass and are able to build services and SLA.

Valuable Features

Infrastructure Monitoring and End User Monitoring are the product’s most valuable features to me.

Room for Improvement

Application Monitoring. We are running a Webmethods stack (Software AG) and Foglight is unable to instrument. We are in a POC with Dynatrace and it was able to instrument with little effort.

To be honest, we have stopped using customer support and technical support because of the slow pace in which our SR's are resolved. We often fix the issues before Dell support is able to.

I did not form part of the initial setup but have subsequently been involved in the deploy of a new setup. I found that it is a bit complex if you have no background in ESM.

Implementation Team

We implemented our initial implementation with the vendor and we have subsequently deployed the latest version in house and we were able to implement seamlessly.

ROI

We have not realized a good ROI on the product due to the fact that we were not able to monitor our core application which runs on Webmethods . We are also unable to monitor AS400 DB2 database transactions, which results in a broken telephone effect.

Other Advice

Foglight is an awesome tool and it is able to instrument and integrate easily with any monitoring tool. However, you have to have a good knowledge of software development, as well as a proper understanding of architecture and infrastructure.