Quest Foglight for APM Review

Drill-down monitoring shows us the entire transaction chain, from the front end to back end. It needs HTML5 interface.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped our customers discover Java performance issues in their WebLogic applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is drill-down monitoring, which shows us from one interface the transaction chain from the front end to back end. Another interesting thing is that this product can work with many databases including freeware (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL). So, it can seriously reduce TCO.

What needs improvement?

I want to see a new interface that contains HTML5 features. The current version of Foglight (on-premise edition) is so fusty in comparison with leaders of Gartner APM Quadrant - i.e. Appdynamics, NewRelic, Dynatrace. If you try to compare SaaS and on-premise Foglight versions you can see differences in UI-design. It's my subjective experiences, but SaaS version looks more modern. Hope this helps

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues. This is a stable solution.

I rate the level of customer service and technical support 9/10, because 10 is an unattainable ideal. These guys are working fine and really want to help.

Initial setup is really easy. You can install this product by clicking "next-next-next", and it will work fine.

I suggest implementing this solution with the vendor or a system integrator. Otherwise, it could take a long time to find all of its interesting features and possibilities.

This is a difficult question. Many vendors have tried to calculate this measurement, but it's very, very subjective, and their attempts were not successful (IMHO).

I'm a system architect and I receive requests from potential customers. I also have experience with BMC, AppDynamics and New Relic.

What other advice do I have?

You can choose this product if you want to connect Java (or .NET) to database monitoring, because you can see the application’s different activities on the same screen.

This is our solution, which works as a framework in the Foglight interface, and changes the color of the geo-tags depending on the object status.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Dell Software preferred partner and I have a Foglight Implementation Consultant certificate.
1 Comment