QuickBooks Desktop Review

Feature rich, integrates well with third-party apps, and customizable for businesses of any size and type

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to provide Bookkeeping, Accounting, Payroll Processing / Reporting, and Federal / State / Local Tax Services either in person or virtually for sole proprietors, self-employed individuals, partnerships, corporations, LLCs, and other and small businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

Intuit is constantly improving the implementation and integration of third-party apps and data that saves the client and accountant time, reduces data input errors, and provides secure options to generate and provide quality financial reports in a timely manner.

What is most valuable?

There are many valuable features in this solution, including Bank account feeds and report exporting. There are valuable security features including software access security (login password), data backup (getting all transactions and data from the previous bookkeeper), and an audit trail that is available when changes are questioned.

This solution provides for integration with third-party apps like accepting credit card payments, payroll processing, and employee activity tracking.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have data conversion and upload applications included, without having to pay separately for them. For example, if I export bank account data to a CSV file, I then have to subscribe or pay for a service that will allow me to import that data as checks or deposits. QuickBooks allows for the direct import of List information only, and not journal entries, or financial account transactions (i.e. Individual cash, check, or credit card transactions).

I have been using this solution for seven years.

I am very impressed with the stability of this solution. Software Updates are provided often, and reflect the ever-changing rules and regulations, as imposed by law, almost immediately.

This is a scalable solution that easily fits any size of business in any industry.

Technical support for this solution is very easy to contact. They have chat, email, phone, and remote services available.

I also use QuickBooks Online, as well as prior versions.

This initial setup can be complex, depending on details for invoicing, inventory, budgeting, or job costing that the client requires. It must be completely set up before use to ensure all of the data posts correctly and pulls into customized reports correctly. It is much harder to correct the transactions after the fact.

I provide implementation Services to my clients.

The software has allowed my income to exceed my initial investment tenfold.

I have evaluated other options, but QuickBooks is more appealing to my clients from their out-of-pocket-cost point of view.

What other advice do I have?

This solution allows us to outline exactly what data, financial statements, inventory, job costing/budgeting, AP/AR, wage and hour, tax planning/forecasting, or information needed to allow owners and management to make educated business decisions regarding efficient and effective management of business operations, cash management, marketing/sales force management, asset purchases, etc.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a member of the QuickBooks Accountant Community