RHEV Review

Good support and a popular platform for our transition

What is our primary use case?

We have several applications that are pillars of the business, such as ERP and SAP, which were previously in a Windows environment. Our system architects have been working on moving these applications to a Linux environment. This is why we are using this solution.

At the point, all of our work with Red Hat is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of this solution is the popularity of the OS.

The support for this solution is very good. This is the major thing that we are considering with respect to moving platforms.

What needs improvement?

There has to be more effort into closing the security vulnerabilities in this solution because we are facing daily attacks. We would like to have this done faster.

We would like to see live-patching on the systems, without having to require a reboot. It would be better to have more patches, especially kernel-level updates, live and online so that we can keep the business up and running during this period.

Improvements can be made to managing this solution, such as enhancements to the GUI.

There should be better integration with third-party tools.

Tools for scanning the hardware, such as the CPU and memory, would make life easier.

We have been using this solution for about two years.

I have found that the stability is related to the upgrade cycle. I find the cycle a little bit annoying.  If the system is constantly upgrading then it is very painful in terms of the operation.

In terms of scalability, it is handling the load that we have. I don't see any major problems.

In addition to using this solution, we are trying to move our CRP solutions to our other platform, SUSE Linux. All of our business applications are moving to Red Hat, although we are getting better support with SUSE.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using the most current release of this solution because from our perspective, it is not mature enough yet.

Another example is that we are moving our Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solution, which is similar to Microsoft SharePoint, to Red Hat.

We have already moved all of our big data systems, as well as all of the digitalization systems to Red Hat. Our Splunk is also on Red Hat.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.