RHEV Review

Good stability and support but is difficult to manage

What is most valuable?

Technically, the main reason why I'm using Red Hat is because of its stability.

What needs improvement?

I heard that there are big differences between Red Hat 8 and 7, but it's still quite difficult for me to judge it. I found it a bit more difficult to manage than version seven, which was much easier. In terms of features, though, it is still not yet clear which is better. I have no clear idea of which features need to be changed at the moment.

We've been using this solution for five years.

Scalability is also available. At our company, we have three people managing Red Hat, but about 600 users that use service and hosting of Red Hat.

We are in touch with technical support and whenever we have an issue we get good support from the Red Hat team. I am satisfied with their technical support. I am an Open Source fan so this is one of my favorites.

We use Windows, of course, and we also use Ubuntu for some other applications. For our core applications, however, we use Red Hat.

I would say the price is acceptable.

What other advice do I have?

If someone asked me, I would strongly recommend using Red Hat. I have spoken to many other Red Hat users. The main issue is the lack of knowledge with most engineers and system admins. They don't know how to use Red Hat. They found that Windows, for example, is easier to manage. I would recommend Red Hat, though, and I would like to do something to raise the awareness of how to use Red Hat. I would strongly recommend they work hard to introduce people to Red Hat and how to manage Red Hat. I know there are courses, workshops, and seminars. Red Hat is doing all of that. The main issue which I think Red Hat has to focus on, however, is that colleges, universities, and most institutions focus on Windows-based solutions. Red Hat has to be there in the education sector, so engineer or system admin graduates will at least have a small knowledge of what Red Hat is.

I would rate Red Hat as seven out of ten. I think it's really hard to get a ten because this is technology and technology is always improving. We'll never stop. Ten means perfect, no improvement required. So I would never rate any tech solution as ten or even nine of ten. I can say, however, that this solution is fine for me.

More RHEV reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with VMware vSphere