SAP NetWeaver Review

It is the central point for all our data storage. We have one single version of the truth that we can communicate to all our customers.

What is our primary use case?

So far, this solution has performed well. The only thing that is bothersome is end of life. They stopped support sometime around 2008, so it has been out of product support for quite a long time. We currently use it as our central master MDM database where our systems link.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the central point for all our data storage. We have one single version of the truth that we can communicate to all our customers. We have one place that we need to update, so we don't have to go to multiple sources and platforms to maintain the data.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility and customizability of this solution when adapting to our business requirements is a huge benefit.

What needs improvement?

Scalability would be a good improvement in future releases, if they do release future versions. They tried to create a seamless style, but it's not necessarily scalable to big development environments that we're trying to achieve.

More than five years.

It works really well.

We have had issues with the performance, and performance is key:

1. We are limited by the number of instances running because it is at the end of service life.
  2. The product is not as scalable as we would like it to be.

Currently, it is very limited. We work with partners to fix their loads on their systems. They have to have separate instances, because the instances are tied to the number of users. However, it is a bit of a tedious process to get this done.

We are using a third party for technical support. So far, their support is good.

This is the first solution that was used.

We are currently looking at SAP MDG to implement in two or three years.

What other advice do I have?

Currently I would rate it as an eight out of 10, because it is at its end of life and I would like to see more out of the product.

When searching for this type of solution, you have to come up with the requirements of what exactly you want to achieve. Then, you need to go through the tools available in the marketplace and analyze each one based on specific criteria to see which ones you would get the best deal on. Aside from that, it comes down to cost and what you want to achieve with the solution. One of the reasons that we started with NetWeaver was to do some product logging, and it ended up being the full end-to-end solution. It came in for another requirement initially, and we ended up using it for much more. Typically, you need to look at what you can do with it other than the current needs and anticipated use cases.

Local support is the most important criteria when selecting a vendor. We have to have bodies on the ground that can come in and assist us. Therefore, local support is at the top of the list. Additionally, the overall flexibility of the vendor itself. They need to be good at introducing new features or advising us on how to meet the business requirements.