SAS Enterprise Guide Review

Reliable, powerful for working with large data sets, and saves time

What is our primary use case?

I use it for programming. When we import data sets or databases, we work with data management and program scripts, etc. We have its basic license.

How has it helped my organization?

We work with large data sets that cannot be handled in Excel. SAS gives us the opportunity and the privilege to work with large data sets. It is very easy with SAS, and it saves time. For example, if I want to use the same data with Excel, it would take a whole day, but with SAS, I can do it in two or three hours at the most.

What is most valuable?

We are able to work on the server, and I can copy a data set and share it with someone in my team. Similarly, if I want some data from them, I can get it. Being able to work on the server and being able to switch from one user to another is a good thing.

It is reliable and powerful, and its community is very wide.

What needs improvement?

They should provide more information for the errors or logs. Currently, it gives you just the error message without explaining anything.

I have been working with this solution for two years. I use it daily for my work.

It is reliable.

It is scalable. It can handle large data sets. There is no problem with that.

Currently, we have a team of five people. I have a manager and other colleagues. All of us don't have the same role. We all handle data, but we have different diplomas. I work as an actuarial analyst, statistics engineer, and data analyst.

I am not sure if we have a contact for technical support from them, but there is a big community of SAS.

We used the open-source product R, which is not exactly similar. We switched because it was a part of our strategy to use SAS. In terms of time response, R is not very powerful. SAS is more powerful in terms of data management., and someone who is not very experienced with programming can use the UI.

I was not involved in the initial setup. Its maintenance and administration are handled by IT, but they're not very well-trained in this solution. It is a new one for them, and sometimes, we do get stuck because they are not very experienced with this solution and its features.

It is very expensive. We have a basic license, and there are many features that are not available with the basic version.

What other advice do I have?

You must have a basic background in programming, such as SQL programming, to use it easily.

I would rate SAS Enterprise Guide an eight out of ten.

More SAS Enterprise Guide reviews from users
...who compared it with Alteryx
Learn what your peers think about SAS Enterprise Guide. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.