SAS Enterprise Guide Review

Saved us in manpower; no longer necessary to have a dedicated data team

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to analyze the sales data of our company. We have an in-house database that has all data relating to our agents and our production. I use it when I want to have a quick check on the data. I'm the finance system and process senior manager in the company.

How has it helped my organization?

I think that this solution is a good start to get into the data analysis field. The license for this is not per user so anyone who wants to use the product can approach it, and can take a look at it, rather than it involving a lengthy process. If the solution was per user, we would need to take into consideration whether it was necessary for a particular user to access it. I think that's how it changed our business. Previously we had a dedicated data team, so every request needed to be sent via them. Now the solution is open to everyone in the company so they can get on board with all the data analysis.

What is most valuable?

I think the Query Builder is very valuable. You just need to track and drop, everything is on the interface, without the need of too much coding.

What needs improvement?

For improvement, I think the user interface is too complicated. For some of the advanced functions, you need to learn some SAS code in order to get what you want. I'm ideally looking for is something that is purely code free and user friendly, which doesn't require any kind of programming.

For additional features I really want something that can make it easier for me to schedule the programs. I do know that SAS now has a solution to schedule the program, but if it could be something built-in within the SAS Enterprise Guide, that would be great.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

I think it is quite stable. In some circumstances, such as suddenly losing internet connection, it might return an error and you need to restart the whole program in order to make it work.
Sometimes some data can be lot but overall I think that the stability is good.

Due to the subscription mechanism, everyone in the company can use it so it's very good in terms of scalability.

I haven't needed to contact technical support because they have a very large online community for support and I can easily find the answers to what I need just by using Google.

I think initial setup is quite straightforward but if you compare it to say, Access, then  it's more complicated to use than other, more traditional tools.

What other advice do I have?

Anyone implementing this solution should check the online manual where they have very good information on how best to use the product. Whenever you have a problem that needs to use a data solution, you can just do a quick Google, and add in the link to that website, and it can show you a lot of solutions. There are also free education manuals and training courses from SAS itself. It's worth taking a look at the SAS programming essential one, and get used to this product.

Always save your data!

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

More SAS Enterprise Guide reviews from users