SharePoint Designer Review

A stable solution that's easy to set up and has a good user interface

What is our primary use case?

I use it mainly for workflows or for minor changes in SharePoint master pages.

How has it helped my organization?

I have setup many simple and complex workflows, very useful for daily automation (invoices, travel, leave approval) . It is also useful to make small branding customizations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of the solution are the user-friendly interface and easy creation of workflow.

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately Microsoft announced a few years ago that the last update for SharePoint Designer was released on August 2, 2016 and that Microsoft Flow will be the workflow designer and engine going forward.

I would add Nintex or all of the Nintex workflow to the solution if I could. I would add them to SharePoint Designer so that I would need to use only one workflow designer. Right now, I'm using SharePoint Designer and Nintex, and it would be better to centralize it.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is stable.

SharePoint Designer is a very small tool, and very clever. You install it on your computer to access SharePoint's entire platform. In that sense, it's not a technology that's scalable or that needs to be scalable.

I've never had to contact technical support.

The initial setup is very easy. Deployment takes five minutes; it's basically just installing the software.

I deployed the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment solution.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.