Silk Test Review

Stable, with good statistics and detailed reporting available

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for performance testing. It can also handle capacity planning on web applications.

Silk Test is a tool with which we can simulate the number of users, and with that, ramp up and ramp down strategies that we can design. Based on the load model we can design performance tests for our applications. On top of it we can do configurations.

We test the solution to PPS. For example, we test how many PPS transactions per second will be simulated on Silk Test. We can find out how much time testing will take. You can integrate various performance tests, which typically takes one hour. We can do stress tests, and, within an hour, we can then test it. Sometimes, we help test the tool for as long as 36 hours to see how exactly the application can be implemented, in case of any memory loss.

When we did the applications related to performance, we design the load normally. When we try to understand the various critical performance test scenarios, using Silk Test, we record them. Afterward, we handle the configurations.

According to the results, we trigger. Once we trigger data, we try to observe the behavior of the application, as the tool now simulates the load. We look at the responsiveness and note that the response times are getting increased.

We also try to see what kind of behavior changes are happening within the application. We'll look at whether the hardware resources of the application are going up, or if memory is going down. We look for problems or memory loss.

Once we've finished testing, and observe everything, we'll try to do our engineering and work to uncover loopholes that may impact the application's performance. Everything will be recorded and investigated. We'll explain our findings to stakeholders and explain what needs to be done going forward.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The statistics that are available are very good.

The solution offers very good detailed reports.

It's excellent for testing an application's performance levels.

What needs improvement?

While we are performance testing the engineering key, we need to come up with load strategies to commence the test. We'll help to monitor the test, and afterward, we'll help to make all the outcomes, and if they are new, we'll do lots and lots of interpretation and analysis across various servers, to look at response times, and impact. For example, whatever the observations we had during the test, we need to implement it. We'll have to help to catch what exactly is the issues were, and we'll help to see how they can be reduced.

Everything is very manual. It's up to us to find out exactly what the issues are.

The solution needs better monitoring, especially of CPU.

I've been doing performance testing for, I would estimate, 10 or more years now.

The stability of the solution is good. We haven't had any issues, and even if we're stuck, the solution's team will support us and help us overcome any issues we're having in relation to stability. For us, stability is not a problem.

The technical support is very good. If we're ever stuck, and we do sometimes get stuck on a few things, they're able to reply to us in a timely manner and their advice is quite good. We've been satisfied with the level of support we've been given.

To set up Silk Test, you have to take the licenses of the product and configure them onto your server. From there, you can install Silk Test. You should have access to the applications which you are going to test.

In terms of the application manuals, the application needs to be performance tested from various IP's. Other than that, it's a simple, straightforward installation.

Deployment takes about a month.

We help our clients implement the solution on their servers.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is a good solution, and, in certain cases, I would recommend it. However, it's not always necessary for certain organizations.

Silk Performer is very good. I don't have any complaints about Silk Performer. Before using any Silk product, however, it's a good idea to do a proof of concept.

I'd advise that, for the web applications, users maybe spend some time Googleing information about it. That way you'll see what it looks like and maybe begin to understand it a bit better. It's more or less straight forward and simple. However, if it's for a Windows application, definitely Silk Test is the best there is.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Silk Test reviews from users
...who compared it with SmartBear TestComplete
Learn what your peers think about Silk Test. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.