SolarWinds Virtualization Manager Review

How has it helped my organization?

Virtualization manager’s cost analysis comparison report identified areas in which specific customers were being grossly undercharged for their resource consumption levels, as compared to rates available through AWS. Being able to pull up an itemized cost analysis anchored in real-world pricing was an asset when renegotiating contracts and adjusting rates.

What needs improvement?

Out of the box support for a wider array of hardware vendor/device-specific SNMP mibs could be improved upon.

I was only involved in deployment and initial configuration in production of SolarWinds. I have been using SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM) with Server & Application Monitor (SAM) and Virtualization Manager.  I have followed the SolarWinds suite of software for at least five years.

No issues with deployment.

There is a healthy online community (http://thwack.solarwinds.com) and testing of pre-release software is open to customers with an active support contract, starting with initial Beta and continuing through to the final Release Candidate.

No, the development life-cycle is solid.

No, in my experience SolarWinds products scale well although it may require purchasing additional licensing for additional pollers.

Prior to SolarWinds, multiple products were deployed, which resulted in an overlap, redundancy and ‘alert fatigue.’

2 Comments

author avatarIT - Server Administration with 501-1,000 employees

One of the main reasons we purchased Virtualization Manager was due to already owning NPM and SAM. In the interest of a familiar interface and like Derek, 'alert fatigue', VMan was basically a no-brainer. The overall integration continues to improve with each update and support calls are minimal.

author avatarInfrastructure Architect at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees

How are you still liking this product? Do you use it for storage and network as well?