Solr Review

Good indexing and decent stability, but requires more documentation

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in the telecommunications industry.

What is most valuable?

One of the best aspects of the solution is the indexing. It's already indexed to all the fields in the category. We don't need to spend so much extra effort to do the indexing. It's great.

What needs improvement?

The solution's grammar and syntax should be easier.

It does take a little bit of effort to use and understand the solution. It would help us a lot if the solution offered up more documentation or tutorials to help with training or troubleshooting.

MongoDB can realize more complex operations than Solr can. Solr should add some more complex operations to the database to at least bring it up to MondoDB's level of functionality. It would make it more competitive.

There might be some compatibility issues between the data types within Solr. This needs to be improved.

Solr has a schema that we have to load the schema as an HTML, or SML file. This usually needs to be done by our engineers. It should be easier to do without needing too much technical background.

We've been using the solution for more than one and a half years.

The stability is pretty good. however, I wouldn't say that it is as stable as MongoDB. Mongo is much more reliable.

I'm unsure about the scalability of the solution. We have ten people in our team, and out of those, four people actually work on it. They're mostly data engineers. I'm not sure if we plan to increase usage or not in the future.

I haven't really dealt with technical support. I've mostly just gone through online tutorials to get help. I find those lacking, however. They need work so that they would actually be more useful for people.

We also use MongoDB. Solr is better than MongoDB because the Solr already indexes to all in their categorical field. We find that Solr also sometimes offers better performance. However, we do find that MongoDB is better for more complex operations.

I'm unsure about the initial setup. Our data engineer handled the implementation. I didn't participate in the process, so I can't speak to how straightforward or complex it was.

Our data engineer handled the process for us. It was handled in house.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Microsoft, Elastic and others in Search as a Service. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.