SonicWall SMA Review

R&D works efficiently and comes out with updates as necessary

What is our primary use case?

Our clients are primarily cooperative banks, so they have a small bank domain. They may have branches of up to 15 to 20 small locations. They need to have multisite connectivity and we use the SonicWall VPN for that.

The CBS core banking systems connect the branch office to the head office. The CBS servers are in the data center at the core bank or head office and all branches connect to the head office through VPN connectivity. This allows them access to the core banking system.

What is most valuable?

The management and the dashboard are the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

There are some features that are available on Palo Alto or Cisco that don't exist. There isn't a depth of information on SonicWall.

The solution could integrate better with other platforms.

The solution should include SOS (Security Operations Systems) features for detection purposes. There should also be SEIM integrated with big players like IBM, etc.

It would be great if there could be a single appliance that can take care of all the security requirements of the organization.

I don't specifically use the solution. I'm a pre-sales engineer and I offer the solution to our customers.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable. They have super-massive boxes as well. It can scale up to around 2,000 users or more. The solution also offers quite large appliances if a user needs even more. The solution offers everything from small users to larger branches.

We have a mixed number of users. A few are on FortiGate and a few are on SonicWall. We also have a few on Palo Alto. About 20% of our customers use SonicWall. Our users include security admins, and IT managers among others.

We've been very satisfied with technical support. They are very supportive and their advice is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward. If the ISP is good and the broadband connections are good, and, if the static IP is available, it only takes one to two days to deploy. After that, it's ready for testing and user training. With everything considered, deployment takes about three days.

We've evaluated other solutions such as Palo Alto, FortiGate and Checkpoint. We also work with them. In terms of the pricing for the customer, SonicWall is the best.

What other advice do I have?

We're official partners with SonicWall and system integrators. We're a platinum partner with Dell and silver partners with SonicWall. We're also partners with FortiGate

The solution is very good. It's stable and robust. There's great support for their anti-phishing and anti-virus software.

SonicWall is also working 24/7 in relation to viruses. There's a quick response and R&D works efficiently and comes out with updates as necessary. We've found SonicWall to be a great solution for current market conditions.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.