StormRunner Load Review

What is most valuable?

The reason we chose it and the most valuable feature is the amount of virtual users we can run in a test. We have run up to 900,000 users.

How has it helped my organization?

We do online testing for the States as we have contracts with them. We have to be able to support a certain number of students, so this helps us confirm and validate that we can support the number of students that are taking online testing at one time.

What needs improvement?

I think the reporting could be better. I think you could have a little more variety of reports. Right now, you get an email saying, "Here's your report". You can't put in the analysis tool. You can't export it to Excel. Those are the things that would make it a little better. That's probably my biggest pain point, it is the reporting.

I think it's fairly stable. There's some features that I think could be made better but, for what they have, I think what they have works well.

I think it scales really well. I like that you can add users on the fly or remove users on the fly. That's a great feature.

I have used the support. We were one of the first users for Beta, so we have a relationship with the developers, so we tend to just go right to them when we have questions or problems.

They've been great. A lot of the times, it's not really a problem with StormRunner, it's just our understanding of what it's supposed to do, so they are very great about explaining the reasoning and what will be coming in the future. If we don't think that's really what we want, they'll explain how it's in the roadmap and how it's going to be made better.

We were using another HPE product, Performance Center. We haven't totally switched, but StormRunner Load is our option for the test where we need a lot of virtual users where we can run it in the cloud. Whereas, on Performance Center, you have to have load generators in-house, or what HPE provides. That's why we use it. It's for when we want to use a lot and perform a big test.

I wasn't involved in the deployment.

Not really because we're mostly an HPE shop and this was working with HPE they to meet our needs, so they provided this and it's worked out great.

What other advice do I have?

I don't like their reporting. Other than that, I think it's great. It does what it's supposed to do and I know it's just the beginning, so there's going to be a lot more features added.

You should look into it. I know there are other solutions that have more bells whistles, but,when it actually comes down to function, I think StormRunner does the job.