StorPool Review

Speed of the solution allows us to provide service to I/O intensive applications

What is our primary use case?

We needed a distributed storage system to provide high-available solutions to our customers as well as to add a redundancy layer to our hosting infrastructure. Due to the high level of service we're offering and the high level of resource demands, we also needed the distributed storage system to be at least as fast as local SSD storage.

How has it helped my organization?

With StorPool we were able to build live failover on top of our LXC infrastructure. This allows us both to live-migrate containers between compute nodes without any downtime and, in case of an entire node suffering any type of failure, we can bring all containers back online within a minute on a spare compute node.

What is most valuable?

Built-in redundancy for both storage nodes and network gives us peace of mind in case of a hardware failure, be it a storage node or a network component. The speed of the storage solution also allows us to provide service to applications that are very I/O intensive.

What needs improvement?

We have generally been happy with StorPool's product. As previously mentioned we haven't had any issues since deploying their solution. The only place we feel they could improve is the time it takes to bring new features to production.

We haven't had any stability issues since deploying StorPool.

We haven't scaled our production cluster yet, but we have previously tested adding more storage nodes and that worked without any issues.

We have received timely and knowledgeable support from StorPool on the rare occasions we've contacted their support.

We hadn't really used any enterprise grade storage solution prior to StorPool.

The initial process was very straightforward. We provided the hardware to StorPool and had a working cluster in a couple of days. Joining new members in the cluster is also a very straightforward process.

StorPool's pricing and licensing model is very transparent. As always, one has to due his due diligence when choosing a product like distributed storage solutions.

We have tested several storage network solutions that our service providers had at the time: a Dell distributed storage used by SoftLayer (not sure on the exact platform/name but it was discontinued after if tailed spectacularly several times) and EMC (before it was acquired by Dell).

What other advice do I have?

I would give StorPool a solid nine out of 10. We haven't had any issues since we've deployed the solution. StorPool offers a great product at a very affordable pricing, given the capabilities of the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My employer is a StorPool investor.
1 visitor found this review helpful