Symantec Cyber Security Services Review

Good firewall, IPS, and email security features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is as a firewall and IPS.

We have both on-premises and public cloud deployments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the firewall and the IPS.

What needs improvement?

When my IPS detects a malicious URL it should automatically add it in the firewall, but as it works now, I have to manually add the firewall entry. There should be better integration between the two.

I would like to have a single console, or dashboard, like McAfee or Telstra, for the entire product. As it is now, I have to load all of the components manually. When I load a new product, it should be automatically put into the common dashboard.

Technical support for this solution is bad and it needs to be improved.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

In terms of stability, this solution is very good.

Technical support is the one thing about this solution that is not good.

I have faced a lot of problems and the support people are not good. When I open a case at the first level, they assign the case internally. Many times, I feel that I know better than the engineer because of my experience, and I end up resolving the issue myself.

They should have a senior engineer, but for every issue, I have asked to have the question forwarded to the next-level engineer.  One of the cases I had, took more than one or two months to resolve.

Overall, the support is very, very bad.

The initial setup of this solution is not complicated. It will take a little bit of time to understand in the beginning, but later on, it's really easy to understand and deploy.

What other advice do I have?

All of the components for this solution are good, including email security. The Symantec MAS engine has very limited features. I have been in contact with them many times to ask for enhancements because it is a very limited product.

This is a good solution, but in the past six months, I have had a very bad experience with Symantec support.