Symantec Cyber Security Services Review

Mature, stable, and reduces threats.Symantec Managed Security Services has been relatively easy to deploy and operate. Symantec's support is knowledgeable at the lowest tier and responsive.

What is our primary use case?

There have been a few recent incidents that have occurred with hacking and breaching of security. Not all of the public is aware of these problems and the problems it causes for the businesses involved — as well as their clients. So we are focusing on our work to reduce these threats on-premises and we are keeping up-to-date on cloud instances as well. We have various sources giving us feedback on what we can do and we are using the information to ward off this problem, help our clients and reduce cyberattacks. We are conducting seminars for awareness of the problems that are ongoing about the threats to cybersecurity.

Currently, the government in our sector is not focusing much on cybersecurity but gradually they will have to do more to work on this. Our hope is to help Pakistan reach goals in the digital community. The testing and deployment of 4.4 IoT (Internet of Things) for Blockchain and artificial intelligence along with other things like Symantec Cyber Security are tools that we are cultivating. By May of 2020, we expect to be able to compete not just in Pakistan, but in the world as well.

What is most valuable?

Out IT team is the group that is looking at and evaluating the features of the Symantec product. I am not the best person in our organization to comment on this product right now about the most valuable features. But I, personally, do have around eight to ten years of experience locally, internationally and personally with Symantec products and I love them. Symantec is a wonderful product and they have feature-rich environments that fill the needs of those looking for antivirus but they are more than just a solution for antivirus and cybersecurity services. Other products are trying to onboard all the services that Symantec is already providing. I think that Symantec is in a good position within the industry and with the Gartner reports as well for good marks in security and risk management.

What needs improvement?

The part of the product that I think needs the most work is reporting. From time-to-time, we face different challenges, so flexibility and improved reporting details would be more convenient in order to get the information we need. If we generate a report from SIEM (Security Information and Event Management) we see all the details end-to-end. In fact, they also show us the global map as well.

Symantec needs to do something more like this and expand the reporting capabilities to match the competition. The technology over time leads to change and evolution, and competing products need to stay in the race. Besides this divergence in reporting, Cyber Security Services is a genuinely great product.

Besides the reporting, I think Symantec has to focus on some cloud service as well. Most of the appliances getting fees from AlienVault cloud have more focus on the potential of the cloud as it seems to be much of the future of all aspects of computing. I think these are the two focusing points Symantec needs to take into account.

We have been using Symantec Cyber Security for around three years.

The product is mature and stable, definitely. I am one of the many satisfied users of Symantec products.

I think the product is very scalable in any way you can imagine. There may be some cost depending on what you do, but the product itself really does not seem to be limited in the way it can expand.

In a financial institution like my organization, so we have it on 24-hour service. So it only requires two to three people to maintain Symantec cybersecurity appliances while they work with some other appliances as well. This is because many things are going to be automatic and we just oversee the batches or other server license services. There is no need to be watching the product all the time because it is not meant to be monitored by humans all the time. Three people who are aware of the product are enough for maintaining cybersecurity or Symantec services.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to approach the Symantec support team directly. I think from time-to-time there is interaction on social media with me because of the shared interest people have in cybersecurity. It might be Symantec or McAfee or other products. But technically, I did not contact them for support because between our team and Symantec, there is a vendor and their job is to connect with the Symantec technical team to sort out all of the issues if some issue occurs.

I joined the organization before they made the decision to go with Symantec. They have or have still another antivirus like Norton Security Premium in some instances. This does not change my opinion of Symantec.

Now it is simple to work with the initial installation of Symantec. It wasn't always. It is not a complex concept because people know very well about the importance of cybersecurity. They are working in different locations. There are cybersecurity information sessions and conferences. We are creating awareness ourselves at our company for the people and the organizations. We are involved in the universities as well and we are giving the students some advanced core security projects.

Security is finally a recognized product and finally a project as well. Now the dynamics are changing and there are people working in different universities and different organizations coming together to work on these problems. They are opening regional and country-wide chapters as well. They are looking at this problem and calling on people to get themselves up to date on what is going on in the cybersecurity domain.

The problem it solves is complex, I think. The product itself is not so complex to use, but at the same time, it is definitely not a very simple technical thing. The UI is not so user-friendly without instruction. If I give someone a training session for like an hour or two hours that is all it takes to can get all the things they need to understand. I think, on average, it is not very difficult to learn.

I personally did not do the installation. A man came in and he installed the product. I think he took around a week because we have around 3,000 to 4,000 users. But now even I will get some lessons on Symantec. Very soon the vendor will come to us to give us personal instruction on the installation and implementation.

The installation and implementation was done by the vendor, not by someone from our company.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to someone who is looking into implementing Symantec Cyber Security Services is that I would recommend the product. I have a strong connection with security work. I have a lot of friends from India, from the UAE, from Canada, from the U.S, and we share information. I recommend this product as nine out of ten based not just on what I have experienced but on what I know from the cyber community.

We are conducting a multiple vendor cybersecurity event. We are open to companies who want to introduce their products as well. In Pakistan, Karachi, Slavs, and Lahore, we are working on this. Definitely I'm trying to recommend these security precautions to other users. The hope is to beat the threats of cyberattacks. Many products may do the job, but the important part is to do the job.

Overall, I would rate Symantec Cyber Security Services and nine out of ten.

More Symantec Cyber Security Services reviews from users