Symantec Data Center Security Review

Good centralized console, but it needs to be more flexible in terms of deployment

What is our primary use case?

This product makes up part of our security solution that we offer to customers for use in data centers and remote sites.

As many people are now working from home, they use this solution so that they can work remotely to their data centers and still keep operations centralized. They need to work flexibly, not only from a geolocation point of view but geographically.

How has it helped my organization?

Since the acquisition of Symantec, our customers have not been satisfied with this solution. They are moving to other products such as CrowdStrike, Trend Micro, and McAfee.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the centralized console, which can handle different products that we have. It is essentially a segregation option.

What needs improvement?

Symantec is a little bit behind on the most recent advances, such as products that are more lightweight and more flexible in their deployment to multiple operating systems. They need to develop a more flexible product that can be scaled such that it fits well into a small business or a bigger, enterprise-level solution.

If I want to set up an endpoint solution that is on the cloud or is a hybrid, then there's a dependency on old-fashioned patterns, like hash values, in the internal policies. However, in a next-generation solution, we don't have to work in this traditional way. They are capable of automatically detecting and adapting to new threats that are coming out.

This solution does not offer as many centralized management options as other vendors. for example, you cannot install or uninstall machines using the console.

Better integration with other solutions is needed. Nowadays, keeping costs in mind, people don't want to be restricted to using a single vendor or dedicated platform. They want to be able to integrate with different products from multiple vendors. Better integration allows them to stay flexible and maintain or build a competitive edge.

I have been working with Symantec Data Center Security for nine years.

I am familiar with solutions from several vendors including CrowdStrike, Trend Micro, and McAfee. With Trend Micro, for example, you can implement, deploy, and monitor in a single console. I am not required to send a team to deploy it.

The initial setup is complex for the most part.

We have three different types of deployments including on-premises, cloud-based, and hybrid. The choice of deployment model depends on the requirements.

The length of time for deployment depends on the configuration and what you want to deploy. It generally takes between four and five hours for a fresh installation.

We have an in-house team in charge of implementation, deployment, and maintenance. They can also provide support for our remote sites if needed.

Compared to some other solutions, such as CrowdStrike, Symantec is more expensive.

There are different products in competition with Symantec that we have the option to offer to our customers. We have had cases where Symantec has been replaced, whereas in other cases, we have installed the traditional Symantec security solution.

With Symantec, monitoring and reporting is not a single click. Rather, you have to look at different options to get your reports. This is an area where other vendors are ahead of Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Symantec Data Center Security depends on the requirements and it is important to understand them in advance. If you are fine with the traditional way of detecting threats then this is a good solution. If not, then I would suggest using newer technology.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementer
More Symantec Data Center Security reviews from users