Symantec Data Center Security Review

Great file integrity monitoring features; lacking in reporting capabilities and support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution was for checking some program file changes. We are customers of Symantec and I'm an IT security specialist.

What is most valuable?

The file integrity monitoring features are the most valuable features of this product.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see better reporting capabilities and better support. I had the chance to work with Tripwire Solutions and that solution has some added capabilities, not just checking the folders, but the abilities of the whole configuration. They also have the capability of connection through interface to the network devices and to check specific configurations from the reports that might create a better product. It possibly converts the solution to a complete change management solution and you can follow the integrity of the old configuration, not just the files.

I've also noticed that the support of the newer version of the operating system is not really up to date on the software. I think the support of the newer operating systems version might have updated support more quickly.

I've been using this solution for two months.

There aren't any issues with the stability.

So far, it's been an easily scalable solution.

We've worked with Symantec support for other products and I feel that we don't get enough support when we need it. We usually manage to resolve problems in our office. I think that technical support in general is not really capable of doing their work. They don't have enough knowledge to provide quick solutions, so we usually try to resolve problems within our team.

We're not really using all of the solution, rather focusing on the POC part of the technology. We're not thinking switch, but we wanted to make sure that Symantec is the perfect solution for our environment.

The initial setup was not complex but we faced some issues which were unrelated to the actual product itself. It took some time to resolve that. Deployment took us around two months because of the issues but generally it would take two days to implement.

As far as I know licensing costs are quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More Symantec Data Center Security reviews from users