TeamCity Review

What is most valuable?

The support for cross-platform builds is very valuable, as is the flexibility in creating build steps. We love that we can include unit and integration tests as part of a build configuration! The plugin functionality is great too, and we couldn't live without the Octopus Deploy plugin.

How has it helped my organization?

With Teamcity, our build/packaging process and the ensuing deployment via Octopus Deploy takes less than half an hour. We have a customer base of approximately 40,000, spread over hundreds of virtual machines, so a fast deployment with little to no downtime is critical.

What needs improvement?

It'd be great to see future built-in support for Octopus Deploy. Currently, Octopus Deploy provides a plug-in for TeamCity, but the installation is manual, and requires a restart of the TeamCity service in order to complete the installation. This is really the only small improvement I would recommend, but it's obviously not a deal-breaker.

I've used TeamCity for approximately one and a half years.

While I didn't take part in the original installation of TeamCity at my current employer, I have set it up on various machines for testing/trial purposes. I use it regularly for a personal project that I maintain. The installation and setup of an initial build configuration were both very straightforward.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

I haven't had the opportunity to interact with support team at JetBrains, but I am impressed with the extent of the documentation.

I haven't been in a situation which required the assistance of the JetBrains technical support team.

It was in place before I arrived at my current employer, but I know that the deployments were handled largely through robocopy scripts that took hours to run. Deploys were typically done in the wee hours of the morning, and required having multiple developers on-site/on call.

I've found the installation to be very straightforward.

The installation was handled as a joint effort between our in-house development and IT teams.

What other advice do I have?

If you need an enterprise build management tool, and your budget permits, it's absolutely worth looking at. Even for independent developers with a limited budget, JetBrains allows you to use the product for free up to a certain number of projects. I use it for a personal project at home, and love it.