TeamCity Review

The templates allow a consistent configuration on how an application is built.

Valuable Features

• Ease of configuring complete build chains with the use of build templates
  • Creating a single custom build runner that allows us to have a single entry point and filter steps by arguments for all our builds
  • The ability to trigger subsequent builds in a chain based off of multiple types of triggers in a deterministic fashion

Improvements to My Organization

Creating a meta-runner to use as a single build entry point. The templates allow a consistent configuration on how an application is built, and by combining the use of the meta-runner and build templates, the whole organisation understands, and follows, this convention. By following this convention, a complete build stack is completed in a single REST call.

Room for Improvement

• Client side load as projects/builds with a lot of test history, and branches can take quite a bit of time to load
  • It would also be nice to have a conditional build step: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/TW-17939
  • Having project templates

Use of Solution

I used it for three years.

You shouldn't use TeamCity as a deployment tool.

As versions progress, TeamCity has greatly improved it's stability with it's resourcing. Also following JetBrains' documentation about how to set up TeamCity, distributes load in a more even fashion.

There have been times when making copies of a project has caused major stability issues, especially when you have nested project structure based off of different build configuration templates.

I've never needed to deal with customer service.

YouTrack has been a great forum to raise/track issues.

We previously used CC.Net. TeamCity provided a much easier method of configuration as well as templating over CC.Net.

If you want just a basic setup, it is extremely straightforward. If you require optimizations such as I/O distribution, you will need to do a little bit more work.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house.