Tenable Nessus Review

Easy to set up and use, reasonably-priced, and works well out of the box

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are pretty straightforward. We primarily use it for conducting vulnerability scans.

What is most valuable?

Out of the box, the product works well for us, so it's not a tool that we need to customize very much.

What needs improvement?

The reporting interface is in need of improvement. The reports are okay, but the interface is a bit difficult to navigate in some cases.

Nessus is not very good at identifying web application vulnerabilities, which means that we need to buy another product like Acunetix or EMC Networker to handle that part. This is an area that could be enhanced because we would prefer to have these capabilities in one application.

I have been using Tenable Nessus for more than 10 years.

Tenable is a reliable solution.

We have not had any use cases that required scaling.

Our installation is a single tenant.

We haven't had the need to contact technical support.

Many years ago, we tried Nexpose by Rapid7.

The initial setup was easy and very straightforward.

It took about half an hour to deploy, including all of the updates. It is the updates that take time to complete.

We pay approximately $2,500 on a yearly basis. We do not pay any fees in addition to the standard licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

Ultimately, we plan to use this product less because it is something that we advise our customers to buy for themselves. They should not be using our solution.

My advice for anybody who is considering Tenable Nessus is that it is easy to install, easy and straightforward to use, and not expensive. These are the reasons that we advice our customers to use it.

More Tenable Nessus reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Tenable Nessus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.