Tenable Nessus Overview

Tenable Nessus is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Vulnerability Management tools. It is most often compared to Tenable.io Vulnerability Management: Tenable Nessus vs Tenable.io Vulnerability Management

What is Tenable Nessus?

Nessus Professional is the industry’s most widely deployed assessment solution for identifying the vulnerabilities, configuration issues, and malware that attackers use to penetrate your, or your customer's network. With the broadest coverage, the latest intelligence, rapid updates, and an easy-to-use interface, Nessus offers an effective and comprehensive vulnerability scanning package for one low cost.

Tenable Nessus Buyer's Guide

Download the Tenable Nessus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Tenable Nessus Customers

Bitbrains, Tesla, Just Eat, Crosskey Banking Solutions, Covenant Health, Youngstown State University

Tenable Nessus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Tenable Nessus pricing:
  • "Nowadays, your vulnerability applications are going to be kind of pricey because lots of them, including Rapid7, are based upon a base price, but then they add in the nodes. That's where they get you. If you're a big network, obviously, you need to scan everything. Therefore, it's going to be costly. The risk and insurance money associated with having ransomware on my networks is going to cost me more money, time, and marketing than the price of the tool. That's why I'm speaking only as an information security officer to security operations. This is the tool that is there in my toolbox to say whether we vulnerable or not. At this point, I don't care about how much it costs my company to have it because if I wasn't able to report it and we got ransomware, then who cares? I'm probably going to be out of business because it happened. That's why I don't care about the price. I have it, and I could use it effectively and do my report. At the end of the day, even if we get ransomware, as long as I reported it, followed my protocol, and put in the change, irrespective of whether it was ignored or denied, I did my job."

MH
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use, good support, and gives full reports of what's vulnerable per device

What is our primary use case?

We use it for vulnerability management. We have the latest version because we're using it in the cloud right now. I have a public cloud and a private cloud version.

• "I like its ease of use. It has the script that is pre-built in it, and you just got to know which ones you're looking for."
  • "The price could be more reasonable. I used the free Nessus version in my lab with which you can only scan 16 IP addresses. If I wanted to put it in the lab in my network at work, and I'm doing a test project that has over 30 nodes in it, I can't use the free version of Nessus to scan it because there are only 16 IP addresses. I can't get an accurate scan. The biggest thing with all the cybersecurity tools out there nowadays, especially in 2020, is that there's a rush to get a lot of skilled cybersecurity analysts out there. Some of these companies need to realize that a lot of us are working from home and doing proof of concepts, and some of them don't even offer trials, or you get a trial and it is only 16 IP addresses. I can't really do anything with it past 16. I'm either guessing or I'm doing double work to do my scans. Let's say there was a license for 50 users or 50 IP addresses. I would spend about 200 bucks for that license to accomplish my job. This is the biggest complaint I have as of right now with all cybersecurity tools, including Rapid7, out there, especially if I'm in a company that is trying to build its cybersecurity program. How am I going to tell my boss, who has no real budget of what he needs to build his cybersecurity program, to go spend over $100,000 for a tool he has never seen, whereas, it would pack the punch if I could say, "Let me spend 200 bucks for a 50 user IP address license of this product, do a proof of concept to scan 50 nodes, and provide the reason for why we need it." I've been a director, and now I'm an ISO. When I was a director, I had a budget for an IT department, so I know how budgets work. As an ISO, the only thing that's missing from my C-level is I don't have to deal with employees and budgets, but I have everything else. It's hard for me to build the program and say, "Hey, I need these tools." If I can't get a trial, I would scratch that off the list and find something else. I'm trying to set up Tenable.io to do external PCI scans. The documentation says to put in your IP addresses or your external IP addresses. However, if the IP address is not routable, then it says that you have to use an internal agent to scan. This means that you set up a Nessus agent internally and scan, which makes sense. However, it doesn't work because when you use the plugin and tell it that it is a PCI external, it says, "You cannot use an internal agent to scan external." The documentation needs to be a little bit more clear about that. It needs to say if you're using the PCI external plugin, all IP addresses must be external and routable. It should tell the person who's setting it up, "Wait a minute. If you have an MPLS network and you're in a multi-tenant environment and the people who hold the network schema only provide you with the IP addresses just for your tenant, then you are not going to know what the actual true IP address that Tenable needs to do a PCI scan." I've been working on Tenable.io to set up PCI scans for the last ten days. I have been going back and forth to the network thinking I need this or that only to find out that I'm teaching their team, "Hey, you know what, guys? I need you to look past your MPLS network. I need you to go to the edge's edge. Here's who you need to ask to give me the whitelist to allow here." I had the blurb that says the plugin for external PCI must be reachable, and you cannot use an internal agent. I could have cut a few days because I thought I had it, but then when I ran it, it said that you can't run it this way. I wasted a few hours in a day. In terms of new features, it doesn't require new features. It is a tool that has been out there for years. It is used in the cybersecurity community. It has got the CV database in it, and there are other plugins that you could pass through. It has got APIs you can attach to it. They can just improve the database and continue adding to the database and the plugins to make sure those don't have false positives. If you're a restaurant and you focus on fried chicken, you have no business doing hamburgers."

What other advice do I have?

The advice would be definitely doing your proof of concept because that's what you're going to need for your buy-in for your upper management because it is going to cost some money. I would do a hybrid version, where your own Nessus is internal, and then you have your cloud. If you lose connection to the internet, you could still run an internal Nessus scan to save the scan and then input the scan into Tenable.sc. Do your proof of concepts, get your reports, and use your proof of concepts when you do your presentation to upper management to purchase. If you use your own nodes and your own…
NM
CISO at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Saves me significant time when putting together reports for compliance agencies

What is our primary use case?

We use it for servers, domain controllers, application servers, Oracle servers, SQL servers, as well as network devices, like routers. For PCs that are used for services such as credit cards and ATMs, we usually do a vulnerability assessment, including Windows Servers, Linux servers, SQL servers, and database servers. We scan everything except basic PCs because it would require a lot of time to check all those reports. Our system administrators use another solution to check regular PCs for Windows and MS updates. We're checking things every month. We created a schedule and it checks… more »

• "Nessus gives me a good preview of vulnerabilities and good suggestions for remediation. It's easy to find a description of a given vulnerability and solutions for it."
  • "One area that has room for improvement is the reporting. I'm preparing reports for Windows and Linux machines, etc. Currently, I'm collecting three or four reports and turning them into one report. I don't know if it is possible to combine all of them in one report, but that would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

If I were to speak to someone who works with IBM Guardium they would probably tell me, "Ah, Nessus is too simple for me. Guardium is better." But I can recommend Nessus to anyone who wants a good product for a "small amount of money." It's the best buy. When I speak with my colleagues we usually share our experiences. I know that some of my colleagues are thinking about Nessus for next year because they don't have any solution, but they need one, according to regulations. When I explain how it works they usually say that they will check into it. Probably, in Bosnia, there will be two more…
Learn what your peers think about Tenable Nessus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JK
Security Architect at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
The vulnerability priority rating has been accurate and helps us prioritize effectively, based on risk

What is our primary use case?

We use it for internal and external vulnerability scans.

• "The most valuable feature is the breadth of vulnerabilities that it finds. It's able to find across a lot of different platforms and operating systems. It's also able to combine local testing with network-based testing."
  • "There is room for improvement in finishing the transition to the cloud. We'd like to see them keep on improving the Tenable.io product, so that we can migrate to it entirely, instead of having to keep the Tenable.sc on-prem product."

What other advice do I have?

Leverage authenticated scans if you can. That reduces the number of false positives compared to just network-based scanning. Leverage the Tenable Agents if you can, as well, because that will help reduce the scan time and make it easier to get data from machines that are all over your network. The solution isn't really helping to reduce our exposure over time because there are always new vulnerabilities coming out. It's helping us keep track of what's out there better. The next part is going to be convincing external auditors that VPR is a reasonable way to actually prioritize, in terms of…
Keith S. Crumpton
President and Sr CISO Consultant at CISO Consulting Inc.
Provides me with executive-friendly reporting for my clients

What is our primary use case?

I use it for performing vulnerability scans for both my environment and for clients. I provide fractional CISO consulting services. As such, I will perform a vulnerability scan on an environment before I say "yes." Everybody has to have a vulnerability scan. You should do them periodically which, to me, is monthly. It's just good practice to perform that scan monthly and whenever there's a major change, to make sure that you don't have any open environment. I monitor web servers, database servers, app servers, desktops; everything you'd find on a network, besides switches and routers. I don't… more »

• "Nessus is good at finding out what nodes you have in place. It will then provide you a report, by node, of what the vulnerabilities are. It does it quickly and stealthfully."
  • "It also has an executive report where you don't have to provide the client all the detail for them to sift though. But if they wish to dig through the detail they can."
  • "One area with room for improvement is instead of there just being a PDF format for output, I'd like the option of an Excel spreadsheet, whereby I could better track remediation efforts and provide reporting off of that."

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to employ this product, it's the better one for smaller to medium businesses because of the executive documentation. I would not try to sell it as a technical tool for a technical group. As a consultant it would be best for you to run it and manage it for clients. With that, you're a one-stop shop for them. I would remind clients that most auditing requirements state that you need a third-party individual to do an assessment of your environment. As a consultant you would do that for them. Keep it in-house. I wouldn't sell it. The priority rating is an industry-standard rating…
JK
Senior Systems Administrator at Government Scientific Source
Enabled us to fix holes in our network, but having vulnerabilities fixed by the solution would be better

What is our primary use case?

It is used for vulnerability management. We used Nessus to scan our machines to see how they were vulnerable, for patches or security. The CVE numbers is what we looked at, the security vulnerability, and tried to figure out what we were vulnerable to. We monitored Windows Servers, Windows workstations, Linux servers, firewalls, switches, VMware equipment, and Cisco UCS hardware through the application.

• "The most valuable feature is how it scanned and detected through its database to let us know exactly what fixes we needed to put in place for the vulnerabilities. It detects and it also gives you the way to fix it."
  • "There is room, overall, for improvement in the way it groups the workstations and the way it detects, when the vulnerability is scanned. Even when we would run a new scan, if it was an already existing vulnerability, it wouldn't put a new date on it."

What other advice do I have?

Know that it's only a detection tool and that it has limitations as a detection tool, but the deployment can be pretty scalable. The solution didn't reduce the number of critical and high vulnerabilities we needed to patch first. It tells you what the critical vulnerabilities are that you need to patch, but it didn't reduce anything. It doesn't patch it for you. I would give Nessus a seven out of ten, as it doesn't automatically resolve the vulnerabilities. There are tools out there that give you an option: "Hey, do you want me to patch that vulnerability?" You just hit "yes" and it…
Jairo Willian Pereira
Information Security Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Tests against cloud providers, database profiles, several types of telecom devices, and other highly customizable scans

What is our primary use case?

Over 15.000 active assets|inside 10 companies belonging to the group, the biennium recurrent project mapped the real situation, in parallel with photography of IT/Security maturity through three main domains: processes, people, and technology. 5 TOEs: Infrastructure, Databases (SQL and Oracle in deep), AWS Cloud, Connectivity (Routers, Switches, and Firewalls against/based CIS) and Web Application instances (partial tests).

• "Scanners and reports using CIS templates ("de-facto" standard, easy to fix and to locate correction tips at documentation), tests against cloud providers, database profiles, several types of telecom devices, and others highly customizable scans."
  • "Model OS costs (and its segregation schema for individual modules)."

What other advice do I have?

A cost/benefit interesting tool.
MadhavanSrinivasan
CEO at Screenit Labs Pvt Ltd
Easy to setup, and allows you to migrate applications safely to the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are a company that provides cloud migration services. We help companies to migrate to the public cloud. When our customers want to migrate applications, they're worried about the security aspect in the cloud. So we are trying to see how the application security that is on-premises can be migrated to the cloud. We don't have any particular solution, we are working with a few options. The customer selects what best suits their needs. If we have a program, we work with that. It's not specific to what we are working with.

• "We have done code scanning for a long period because as a company, we do DevOps as part of our development life cycle."
  • "We would like to have the option of using the solution for the cloud as well as on-premises with the same license at the same time. That would be very helpful."

What other advice do I have?

In some cases, we deploy on-premises because the customer is still evaluating the readiness to go to the cloud. A few of our customers are already on the cloud, and others are migrating. We have deployed on both models. With my experience, I would definitely recommend it. This is the only tool we have used recently. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
JH
Network Security Engineer at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Helps us limit our vulnerabilities and reduce exploitation

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for scanning for vulnerability on our hosts, like network devices and servers; to find the vulnerabilities and do remediation. We monitor Windows and Linux workstations.

• "Among the most valuable features are scanning for vulnerabilities and the reporting. The reporting templates are okay. I like that I can see all the hosts with different vulnerabilities."
  • "We use credentialed scans. They need more permissions and more changes or settings on Windows and Linux."

What other advice do I have?

Tenable mainly works on vulnerability scanning and prioritizing.
See 13 more Tenable Nessus Reviews
Product Categories
Vulnerability Management
Download our free Tenable Nessus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.