UFT (QTP) Review

We have better evaluation and analysis of defects using UFT integrated with ALM. However, there's not much support provided for automating applications developed on .NET.

Valuable Features

The GUI automation, mobile testing, UFT, and the application lifecycle management features are the most valuable for my projects.

Improvements to My Organization

This product has increased productivity and quality of testing. It has also reduced manual efforts for performing Regression and Sanity for every new build.

There is also better evaluation and analysis of defects using UFT integrated with ALM.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see them remove the shortcoming of working with .NET applications, as there is not much support provided for automating applications developed on .NET.

I would also like to see HP increase the trial period for UFT so that people can learn it by giving them more time. They can then practice more and more to increase their knowledge.

Finally, by providing mobile add-in and an API testing add-in to the trial version, they can help people to grow in this field in a better way.

Use of Solution

I have used this for more than five years.

I have faced some issues while running automation scripts. Sometimes loop variable named as “i” do not actually perform its functionality. By changing the variable name the purpose is resolved. The stability of test scripts running is not very good when we change the names of actions.

9/10 - the team provides solutions as soon as possible through email.

9/10 - the team provides solutions as soon as possible through email.

I was using Selenium with Java to do automation, but as Selenium could not help me do Windows based application automation, I switched to UFT as a new solution.

The initial step for me was straightforward as I have good technical skills. Therefore, it was easy for me to learn VB scripting and start preparing frameworks for UFT.

Implementation Team

I was working in a service-based company as an automation developer. I have implemented all types of frameworks in the banking sector on which I was working.

ROI

The return on investment for any company buying this product license is 100 percent, as businesses with clients increase productivity when manual tasks becomes faster and efficient by automating them with this tool.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Once the license is purchased, this tool can be used for automating many applications, and can be used by any automation developer working in an organization that has purchased this licensed tool.

Other Advice

This product can be used for automation of websites, windows application, mobile testing and API (Application Programming Interface) test automation.

People who wanted to reduce their efforts for repetitive task can use this product to automate manual tests. This helps increase the reliability and quality of testing.

1 Comment
Paul GrossmanReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Hi Anshika!

First I agree the trial period should be longer - you really need six weeks to get into the tool.

Next there is a .Net Add-On with UFT. The important thing to remember is that there are about 15 supported technology Add-ons. Turning on all, or more that you need, only slows down the system. You can tell by looking at the Add-on Manager. If the text "For optimal performance..." is Red you have too many Add-ons activated.

There is little reason why an index variable named "i" would cause trouble. If you are trying to do something like force the variable to another value while inside the loop that certainly can cause issues. And that can happen unintentionally if you have not activated Option Explicit, and you also use 'i' for index loops called inside your main loop. The cause could be the scope of the variable 'i' is not local to your code and is instead global which could be an issue. I follow a general rule to avoid those issues. I always make my indexes self-describing like 'iThisArrayElement' or 'iThisObject'. I never use 'i' ot 'j' as index counters.

You might want to use Test Design Studio to get the deep code analysis that UFT has been missing for so long to get at the root of your issues.

As far as Actions go there is one rule: Never Use Them. They are simply a Sales gimmick - nothing more.
Consider this: An action is an over-engineered function right?
So why not just use functions in a function library?
Save yourself the hassle of Input and Ouput Parameters. Just use functions.

In my framework design I use two Actions:
One processes through the tests to run in the Test Set in the data sheet
The second to run through the Keywords and record results in a separate sheet.
And I use them only because the data sheets are convienently attached.

You also are right on target with Selenium's lack of support for Windows based applications.
But that's what you get sometimes with open sourse tools, It does not always do everything you need it to do.

Sure UFT is not an open source product.
But it is the Swiss Army Knife of test automation tools.

I hope this helps.