Universal CMDB Review

Competitive pricing and good support, but the implementation is complex

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using it for discovery, to inform our event management system.

We are not using it for configuration management at this point. We are only using it to inform our event management suite, so we know what asset had the issue.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the discovery. Knowing what assets are on the network and the configuration of items for it.

There is a lot of manual configuration that has to happen, especially with more and more of doing the typology linking to business services.

It's been a year of trying to map assets and the configuration of items to business services, which has been a very long effort.

What needs improvement?

The implementation could be simplified.

It is not implemented correctly and it's most likely us and the way that we had implemented it. The issue is with integration.

We have multiple different operating systems and enclaves between on-premises and the cloud services that we are trying to monitor and the integration with the different products has been difficult.

It is very complex.

The complexity is very high. The maturity of the organization needs to be high for this product, and that is where we are missing because we are not mature yet. It's very complex and should be for a mature organization.

Our company has been using Universal CMDB for approximately four years.

We are not using the most up-to-date version.

I don't think there are any issues with stability. Once it's implemented, I think it will be fine. We don't have any worries about the integrity of what we've set up.

It's a scalable solution with a license. It's not technical. We have not encountered any technical issues. We just make sure that we have the license as we scale up.

There are four or five people using this solution, maybe a couple more running reports, but for the most part it is running on the backend of the infrastructure component.

Technical support is great. We have not had any issues with technical support.

Even if we've had a high visibility issue, they escalated it pretty rapidly.

The initial setup is complex. We have been working with professional services.

We have two people who are integrators and administrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

We brought on professional services to help us implement this solution and four years later, we still have a contract with them to help us continue with the implementation.

The vendor that we are using has rebranded three or four times. We no longer refer to them by the brand name and just refer to them as help management.

Compared with other solutions, I would say that it's more expensive especially since we have an on-premise version and an older implementation.

I believe that our new solutions in the cloud are more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

For a solution that is this complex, I would suggest getting help from an external vendor.

Because of the complexity, I would rate Universal CMDB a seven out of ten.

It may be because we haven't implemented it correctly.

More Universal CMDB reviews from users