vCloud Director Review

Good platform for visualization and monitoring but not for redundancy and distribution

What is our primary use case?

For vCloud we use a private cloud. In a distributed system, CapEx and OpEx are better. In storage, when you use a stand-alone system you have to pay much more than with a distributed system.

What is most valuable?

For vCloud we use a private cloud. In a distributed system, CapEx and OpEx are better. In storage, when you use a stand-alone system you have to pay much more than with a distributed system. With a storage system rather than stand-alone systems you have to pay much more than a distributed system.

What needs improvement?

In the virtualization aspect, we are happy, but if we work on the public cloud, not the private cloud.OpenStack has a lot of features. In OpenShift when you configure it you can provide 100 web service in redundancy mode.

This is very simple in OpenShift. We are happy with vCloud in terms of the virtualization but not for redundancy and distribution.

We have been using VMware for five to six years.

We've been using vCloud for two years. With vCloud, we have to pay more much for the license but OpenStack is almost an entirely free platform.

We don't have any issues with stability.

With our license, when we want to expand and connect vCloud with the billing systems you have to pay more.

It's your choice if you want to pay more for a license because the billing system is separate but you have to pay more. For example, if you have the Python team to develop the system, you can use OpenStack and you pay less than wit the vCloud system.

We don't have any issue but when we want to extend the system, we have the problem with the license and so we have to pay more. It's better to use the other solution.

We have three staff members in the network and two people on the storage side. The whole team is around 10 people.

Technical support is good but the price and the license are very expensive.

The initial setup is simple. The support for the deployment is very good. We were happy with the deployment, it is very simple and if you get team that is familiar with various solutions you can deploy very quickly.

In the older version, VMware supported NSX, but right now VMware provides NSX-T. NSX-T can connect your network, your VMware, your vCloud network to the SDN, and you can connect to other platforms. The initialization and the configuration in VMware is simple. We didn't have any issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCloud a seven out of ten.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with VMware and the older cloud solutions like OpenStack. I think VMware is working on it.

OpenStack works better than VMware in a distribution system.

We have better performance in surface storage, we have better documentation.

vCloud is a good platform for visualization. It is very handy for monitoring. VMware can integrate with all monitoring systems like vRealize, and the management monitoring is good. I'm very happy with VMware. VMware is good in management and monitoring systems.

More vCloud Director reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider