vCloud Director Review

Our customers can take care of their virtual data centers with the self-service portal. It could be more stable.

What is our primary use case?

We using it for the public cloud.

What is most valuable?

The self-service portal is the most valuable. We are acting as a service provider, so our customers can take care of their virtual data centers with the self-service portal. Therefore, we don't need staff for it.

We consider it intuitive and user-friendly. It offers a variety of functions for the customer to control the networking, virtual workloads, disk snapshots, and all of vSphere's core features.

What needs improvement?

vCloud Director could use the vCenter database to store information. This way, we don't end up in a situation where we have things going out of sync.

More than five years.

It could be more stable. We have had issues with multiple different versions. However, we are managing it.

The scalability works as it should.

The technical support could be better. We managing with the current support though.

We did not use a previous solution.

The setup is complex as we have our own customized portals which we integrated with the product. It's quite a complex solution.

We did the deployment in-house.

The solution is costly, efficient, and robust versus alternative solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Do a proof a concept before making a decision.