Veritas NetBackup Appliance Review

A very stable product with easy integration

How has it helped my organization?

For example, in the past, we had to upgrade the operating system and then the software, but now we have everything bundled so that there is one upgrade for everything, which is a great improvement for us in management. It saves us time.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are the ease of integration in deployment and updates. Everything is packaged when you do the upgrade, so it's quite easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved.

Also, sometimes when you have multiple appliances, you have to physically manage them one by one. It's okay if you have a few, but when you have ten or more, it's a bit annoying and takes more people/time to handle the management.

The scalability isn't great. Every time you want to add storage, you can't just add a little bit, you need to add a lot.

In a future release, they should make it NetApp storage, that's something there on the roadmap that's not available now.

I've been using the solution for four years.

Compared to a homemade installation, this appliance is very stable.

The solution is not very scalable because when you want to add storage you need to add a lot of storage. You cannot just add a few discs. Every time you add storage, you must add a huge amount of storage. In the future, we do plan to add some appliances, so we will increase the usage and replace some old appliances with new ones.

For specific appliances, support is very good.

The past four years we have used dedicated appliances. Before that, we were using homemade servers.

The initial setup was straightforward. I found it very quick and easy. For maintenance, we just need two people.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend others to consider the solution if they're using a lot of workloads. It's a really good product.  However, if you have only a small workload, it's a huge fixture for nothing.

I would rate this solution eight out of ten.